Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > General Maintenance, Performance, and Tech. Info > General Automotive

General Automotive Technical Catch-All

Old 10-27-2017, 07:18 PM

Papabear1966 is on a distinguished road
E40D Shift problems , Completely rebuilt

Hello Fellow Truck LOVERS , Ive always loved the e40d .

Here goes ? Completely rebuilt e40d trans . Shifts hard at times from 1-2
2-3 . sometimes smooth as butter , but then falls out of 3rd and just revs .
40 years of tranny overhaul experience from Reputable friend .

Replaced the trans range sensor or as Ford likes to call it sometimes the MLPS

Was thinking TPS , but no Engine light on , nor flashing O.D Light on the lever

This one has got me puzzled ...

any help would be greatly appreciated

At the back of the intake manifold I did find some wiring that seemed to be scorched from the EGR crossover tube .. ? Is there any transmission Wiring in this harness.?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2017, 07:34 PM
owned by Fords

dustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond repute
What truck is it in?
What are the codes?
Old 10-27-2017, 08:51 PM

1992 F150 302 4x2. Have not tried to pull codes yet , gonna have to YouTube a video and count the beats I guess. I no....a great place to start... I think the bulb in the gear shift selector , for overdrive is blown to.
Old 10-28-2017, 07:36 PM

cbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond repute
Any change in the fly wheel may make a difference ,but could be in the module inside ,or short in the wire that goes to it!....

Im not a bum,Im on vacation!....
Old 10-29-2017, 07:59 AM
owned by Fords

dustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond repute
There is a TSB on the harness and plug on the passenger side, behind the cat shield

be careful buying replacement part, if bad though. the plug shape changes in 95, or if upgraded in a rebuild

That being said.
If the od light/switch is not lighting up, or is unhooked as he stated above, could be he solved his problem right there. Fix the light/od switch.
Old 10-29-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaker65 View Post
Any change in the fly wheel may make a difference ,but could be in the module inside ,or short in the wire that goes to it!....

replaced the engine last year with ford crate , so the flywheel is same . module inside of ..?
Old 10-29-2017, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustybumpers View Post
There is a TSB on the harness and plug on the passenger side, behind the cat shield

be careful buying replacement part, if bad though. the plug shape changes in 95, or if upgraded in a rebuild

That being said.
If the od light/switch is not lighting up, or is unhooked as he stated above, could be he solved his problem right there. Fix the light/od switch.

iam planning on dropping the column down to look at the shift tube wiring , on high mileage truck the wiring would rub thru and ground out on the column. I'll keep use updated
Old 10-29-2017, 09:52 PM

cbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papabear1966 View Post
iam planning on dropping the column down to look at the shift tube wiring , on high mileage truck the wiring would rub thru and ground out on the column. I'll keep use updated
Cool...
Usually the flywheel is only a balance issue from small block to a big block
engine ,that may only result in a nasty vibration ,that said ,maybe ruled out!

Newer trans. rely on a electronic module ,so check that or a short in the wire ,or bad ground!...

Im not a bum,Im on vacation!....
Old 10-30-2017, 10:18 AM
Redneck Prognosticator

O'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond repute
I agree, the best guess on this is a shredded/worn wiring harness on the passenger side behind the cat converter shield.

Mine has done this in the past, and is currently behaving similarly. That's my next move if I get time to fool with it.

Other data sources for this transmission include the TPS, and the speed sensor.

Ryan