Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

First Ford

Yes, GM fanatic. Go ahead, hate all you want. Anyways, I know absolutely nothing about the F series trucks and I just got a smoking deal (read free) on a 1966 F100 shortbed. I'm looking for a replacement for the 352 that's in it that'll still allow me to utilize the original 3 speed column shift, rebuilt of course. I've read 390, wouldn't mind a 427 if I could find one. Mileage isn't a major concern seeing as it'll be primarily a car show/family get together cruiser. Anyone willing to help a clueless Chevy owner who feels like he's cheating on his girlfriend?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'm sure if she's a good girlfriend she'll understand, lol.

You shouldn't have an issue with whatever you choose to put in there aside from maybe the flexplate and various mounting points and clearances, anything is possible in the custom car world. There is a ton of knowledge here though, so I'm sure you'll be able to find the info you're seeking.

BTW, welcome to the Ford family!

Last edited:

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Pretty sure you can swap bellhousings on that 3 speed and use any engine you want. 302, 351w, etc.

That's the downside with the Fords, so many damn different bellhousings.

If the 352 is rebuildable there's no reason not to just stick with it. Otherwise 390 would be a fine choice, as would 428.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Any 1965/76 FE engine will bolt in and use the same bell housing as your 352, as it's the same as 1968/76 360/390..

There are two different 1965/76 FE flywheels: One used with 11" clutch, the other used with 11 1/2" clutch, but you can use either one.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles