Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

2004 6.0l turbo

I have a 2004 f250 6.0l and within 2 weeks i have cleaned out turbo twice, the reason why is p0046 code the first time it worked for 2 days the second time a week and that's where i am at today looses a lot of power and turbo stops working. Any ideas are appreciated!!!!!!!!!!

P0046 is about the wiring to the vgt solenoid. An in a open wire or a short from to turbo to the PCM.
But knowing 6.0 Ive seen this and come to find out it was the EGR valve stuck open. And you saying your cleaning the turbo a lot i would look at it. If its not that I would look at the vgt solenoid look at it and see if its not bad.

And if you pull the EGR valve out and its guley in there better put a PSI gauge on you coolant system and go for a ride to test it and make sure it doesn't go
over 16PSI if it does Its time to look at the EGR cooler and head gaskets.
Good luck

blacksnapon

Staff member
P0046 has nothing to do with the egr valve or headgaskets. Its a failure in the electronic portion of the vgt solenoid circuitry. This is the reason why the 6.0 has a bad reputation. Too many people that don't understand whats going on with this motor. Pinpoint test in next post.

blacksnapon

Staff member
AK1 PRELIMINARY DIAGNOSIS FOR DTC P0046
Note: Refer to the PCM and component connector at the beginning of this pinpoint test.

Perform the visual inspection.
Connect the scan tool.
Retrieve and record all DTCs.
Record freeze frame data.
Clear all DTCs.
Perform the On-Demand Self Test.
Is DTC P0046 present?
Yes No
GO to AK2 . UNABLE to duplicate condition. CHECK for loose connections, damaged or corroded terminals or pins. WIGGLE harness attempting to recreate fault. REPAIR as necessary. REFER to Section 3 if a driveability concern exists.

AK2 DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) P0046
Possible causes:
control circuit open
control circuit shorted to voltage
control circuit shorted to ground
VGT actuator
PCM.
Key off.
Disconnect the VGT actuator electrical connector.
Key on.
Measure the voltage between the VGT electrical connector pin 1 and ground.
Is the voltage greater than 11.0 volts?
Yes No
GO to AK3 . REPAIR open in circuit. RESTORE the vehicle. CLEAR DTCs and RETEST the system.

AK3 CHECK VGT ACTUATOR
Key off.
Enter output state control.
Install a test light between the VGT electrical connector pins 1 and 2, harness side.
Key on.
Access VGT PIDS.
Command VGT to below 10% duty cycle.
Command the VGT to 85% duty cycle.
Does the test light go out as VGT duty cycle is driven low and lights as the duty cycle is driven high?
Yes No
GO to AK7 . GO to AK4 .

AK4 CHECK VGT CONTROL CIRCUIT FOR A SHORT TO VOLTAGE
Key off.
Remove the test light.
Disconnect the PCM engine harness electrical connector.
Key on.
Measure the voltage between the VGT actuator harness connector pin 2 and ground.
Is the voltage less than 0.2 volts?
Yes No
GO to AK5 . REPAIR short in control circuit. RESTORE the vehicle. CLEAR DTCs and RETEST the system.

AK5 CHECK VGT CONTROL CIRCUIT FOR A SHORT TO GROUND
Key off.
Measure the resistance between VGT actuator connector pin 2 and ground.
Is the resistance greater than 10,000 ohms?
Yes No
GO to AK6 . REPAIR short in control circuit. RESTORE the vehicle. CLEAR DTCs and RETEST the system.

AK6 CHECK VGT CONTROL CIRCUIT FOR AN OPEN
Measure the resistance between the VGT actuator connector pin 2 and PCM connector pin 10.
Is the resistance less than 5 ohms?
Yes No
REPLACE the PCM. REPAIR open in control circuit. RESTORE the vehicle. CLEAR DTCs and RETEST the system.

AK7 CLEAN THE VGT ACTUATOR VALVE AND RETEST
CAUTION: The VGT actuator valve is sensitive to contamination. All work areas must be clean before starting this procedure. Do not allow contamination to enter the valve ports, cam follower, or turbocharger housing. Handle the VGT actuator by the solenoid body only. Do not attempt to wipe oil off the valve. Do not let the valve come in contact with materials that could contaminate the valve mechanism.

CAUTION: Use only the Carburetor Tune-Up Cleaner PM-2 to spray the actuator valve. Brake cleaner or other solvents may damage the actuator valve.

Remove the VGT actuator from the turbocharger assembly.
Note: Do not spray the zinc coated larger diameter housing, or electrical connector.

Spray the valve with Carburetor Tune-Up Cleaner PM-2 while pressing the cam follower (tip of the actuator).
Install the VGT actuator and connect the VGT connector.
Key ON, engine running.
Access the output state control.
Access the VGT PID.
Increase the commanded engine speed to 1,250 RPM using output state control. The calibration may limit the actual RPM between 1,150 and 1,200 RPM.
Increase the VGT duty cycle to greater than 70%.
Decrease the VGT duty cycle to 0%.
Does the turbocharger pitch change when the VGT duty cycle is increased and decreased?
Yes No
The system is operating correctly at this time. The concern may have been caused by a contaminated VGT actuator valve.

CHANGE the oil and oil filter assembly. INSTALL a new VGT actuator. CLEAR the DTCs. REPEAT the self-test.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didnt say that the code means that the head gasket are bad!!
You need to read better.

And I know the The EGR Valve has nothing to do with the code. But if the Turbo is clogged And it has no power and the Vanes can not move. And the computer is trying to move them and it can't the computer is going to take that as a p0046.

So the turbo is clogged!! what can cause that ??? well a oil with carbon in the exhaust, that would be the turbo oil seals bad. but it most likely smoke if that was it.
OR OR a EGR valve open And if the valve is open and the turbo is clogged and its a 6.o its mostly mixed with coolant. and that would be heads or EGR cooler.

Its not hard. take the 2 bolts out and pull the EGR out. not really a bad thing to do to a 6.0 ever year or so just to look at. is it wet or Dry?? if its try and closed. Put it back in and look at the VGT solenoid And its wiring.
If its wet. Put a PSI gauge and a T in the small hose that goes in the top of the side of the coolant tank. [ make sure your coolant cap is good. There know for going bad] and go for a ride. if you dont see the PSI go over 16lb your good. If you do see go above 16lb and then goes down that the cap blowing off. then you have a head gasket problem or the EGR cooler is bad.

Your right blacksnapon 6.0 do get a bad rap. they get one because there know for blowing head gasket.EGR cooler, oil coolers,water pumps,and the housing,the coolant being junk,and Blowing the fitting out of the high psi pumps and a ton of other things.
Yea there not a good engine. and ive have fix a ton of them.

As for you copy and past from alldata. that's a good one.

The codes are not allways the problem there just there to point you in the right way.
Mr master tech
I have a Master tech as well. But i dont go posting all over the net.
Mater tech from Cat.Mack, paccar,eaton fuller, And so on. So what??

blacksnapon

Staff member
I didnt say that the code means that the head gasket are bad!!
You need to read better.

And I know the The EGR Valve has nothing to do with the code. But if the Turbo is clogged And it has no power and the Vanes can not move. And the computer is trying to move them and it can't the computer is going to take that as a p0046.

So the turbo is clogged!! what can cause that ??? well a oil with carbon in the exhaust, that would be the turbo oil seals bad. but it most likely smoke if that was it.
OR OR a EGR valve open And if the valve is open and the turbo is clogged and its a 6.o its mostly mixed with coolant. and that would be heads or EGR cooler.

Its not hard. take the 2 bolts out and pull the EGR out. not really a bad thing to do to a 6.0 ever year or so just to look at. is it wet or Dry?? if its try and closed. Put it back in and look at the VGT solenoid And its wiring.
If its wet. Put a PSI gauge and a T in the small hose that goes in the top of the side of the coolant tank. [ make sure your coolant cap is good. There know for going bad] and go for a ride. if you dont see the PSI go over 16lb your good. If you do see go above 16lb and then goes down that the cap blowing off. then you have a head gasket problem or the EGR cooler is bad.

Your right blacksnapon 6.0 do get a bad rap. they get one because there know for blowing head gasket.EGR cooler, oil coolers,water pumps,and the housing,the coolant being junk,and Blowing the fitting out of the high psi pumps and a ton of other things.
Yea there not a good engine. and ive have fix a ton of them.

As for you copy and past from alldata. that's a good one.

The codes are not allways the problem there just there to point you in the right way.
Mr master tech
I have a Master tech as well. But i dont go posting all over the net.
Mater tech from Cat.Mack, paccar,eaton fuller, And so on. So what??
Alldata....no. Its a company called FORD MOTOR COMPANY! Ever hear of them? I have access to everything that Ford has, wiring diagrams, workshop manuals, PCEDs, whatever you want. Oh, if the vanes are stuck, you get a p0299.

blacksnapon

Staff member
I have a 2004 f250 6.0l and within 2 weeks i have cleaned out turbo twice, the reason why is p0046 code the first time it worked for 2 days the second time a week and that's where i am at today looses a lot of power and turbo stops working. Any ideas are appreciated!!!!!!!!!!
I had one just today that had that code. The owner had broken the vgt solenoid connector and just had the wire ends plugged into the solenoid. After wiring in a new pigtail, I used the IDS to check the vgtdc pid just to verify it was ok. All is good.

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
Probably a low tire. Can cause gyrations in the turbo. Makes it throw a code. Either that or its th e tow mirrors. If they are out without a load...guaranteed to throw a turbo code since the turbo goes into tow mode and it doesn't feel any load. It's like wth eh?

AK1 PRELIMINARY DIAGNOSIS FOR DTC P0046
Note: Refer to the PCM and component connector at the beginning of this pinpoint test.

Perform the visual inspection.
Connect the scan tool.
Retrieve and record all DTCs.
Record freeze frame data.
Clear all DTCs.
Perform the On-Demand Self Test.
Is DTC P0046 present?
Yes No
GO to AK2 . UNABLE to duplicate condition. CHECK for loose connections, damaged or corroded terminals or pins. WIGGLE harness attempting to recreate fault. REPAIR as necessary. REFER to Section 3 if a driveability concern exists.

AK2 DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) P0046
Possible causes:
control circuit open
control circuit shorted to voltage
control circuit shorted to ground
VGT actuator
PCM.
Key off.
Disconnect the VGT actuator electrical connector.
Key on.
Measure the voltage between the VGT electrical connector pin 1 and ground.
Is the voltage greater than 11.0 volts?
Yes No
GO to AK3 . REPAIR open in circuit. RESTORE the vehicle. CLEAR DTCs and RETEST the system.

AK3 CHECK VGT ACTUATOR
Key off.
Enter output state control.
Install a test light between the VGT electrical connector pins 1 and 2, harness side.
Key on.
Access VGT PIDS.
Command VGT to below 10% duty cycle.
Command the VGT to 85% duty cycle.
Does the test light go out as VGT duty cycle is driven low and lights as the duty cycle is driven high?
Yes No
GO to AK7 . GO to AK4 .

AK4 CHECK VGT CONTROL CIRCUIT FOR A SHORT TO VOLTAGE
Key off.
Remove the test light.
Disconnect the PCM engine harness electrical connector.
Key on.
Measure the voltage between the VGT actuator harness connector pin 2 and ground.
Is the voltage less than 0.2 volts?
Yes No
GO to AK5 . REPAIR short in control circuit. RESTORE the vehicle. CLEAR DTCs and RETEST the system.

AK5 CHECK VGT CONTROL CIRCUIT FOR A SHORT TO GROUND
Key off.
Measure the resistance between VGT actuator connector pin 2 and ground.
Is the resistance greater than 10,000 ohms?
Yes No
GO to AK6 . REPAIR short in control circuit. RESTORE the vehicle. CLEAR DTCs and RETEST the system.

AK6 CHECK VGT CONTROL CIRCUIT FOR AN OPEN
Measure the resistance between the VGT actuator connector pin 2 and PCM connector pin 10.
Is the resistance less than 5 ohms?
Yes No
REPLACE the PCM. REPAIR open in control circuit. RESTORE the vehicle. CLEAR DTCs and RETEST the system.

AK7 CLEAN THE VGT ACTUATOR VALVE AND RETEST
CAUTION: The VGT actuator valve is sensitive to contamination. All work areas must be clean before starting this procedure. Do not allow contamination to enter the valve ports, cam follower, or turbocharger housing. Handle the VGT actuator by the solenoid body only. Do not attempt to wipe oil off the valve. Do not let the valve come in contact with materials that could contaminate the valve mechanism.

CAUTION: Use only the Carburetor Tune-Up Cleaner PM-2 to spray the actuator valve. Brake cleaner or other solvents may damage the actuator valve.

Remove the VGT actuator from the turbocharger assembly.
Note: Do not spray the zinc coated larger diameter housing, or electrical connector.

Spray the valve with Carburetor Tune-Up Cleaner PM-2 while pressing the cam follower (tip of the actuator).
Install the VGT actuator and connect the VGT connector.
Key ON, engine running.
Access the output state control.
Access the VGT PID.
Increase the commanded engine speed to 1,250 RPM using output state control. The calibration may limit the actual RPM between 1,150 and 1,200 RPM.
Increase the VGT duty cycle to greater than 70%.
Decrease the VGT duty cycle to 0%.
Does the turbocharger pitch change when the VGT duty cycle is increased and decreased?
Yes No
The system is operating correctly at this time. The concern may have been caused by a contaminated VGT actuator valve.

CHANGE the oil and oil filter assembly. INSTALL a new VGT actuator. CLEAR the DTCs. REPEAT the self-test.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, my name is Andrew from Europe. I have a F250 6.0 2005
My English is not so good but I try to write my problem.

Turbo not working. I finished turbocharged clean program, EBP hose clean and sensor change, turbo actuator change. It has P0046 code.

I woud like to take your diagnosis. I dont know what's forexapmle VGT connector 1pin? I think there is two pins.

Can you sent wiring or picture to your program?

Thank you in advance!

A.

Ford Truck Articles