Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

'73 F-100 Fuel tanks question - NEW MEMBER

Hello F-100 experts. I just bought a '73 F-100 and am trying to sort some things out one at a time. My first question is about fuel tanks. My switch on the floor has the markings worn off. Which direction (in towards the cab or out towards the door) is the main tank? Which is the main tank - the long one nearer the cab or the one in the rear? It's a Washington (state) truck so it has some rust repair needed but nothing like eastern trucks. It's all black and a Ranger XLT. It has, I believe, a 360 and a 2bbl. How can I tell? Thanks!

Fellro

Staff member
The valve is dependent on how it got hooked up. It likely is not factory, so there will be no preset guaranteed way for it to be hooked up. The lever will be in line with the port that is open. You will have to trace the fuel line to the tank to find out what is hooked where.

To determine if it is at least an FE motor (360, 390) the easiest quick way to tell is to look at the head/intake/valve cover interface. If the intake goes under the valve cover, then it is an FE style motor. The only way to tell the difference between 360 and 390 is to measure the stroke. Factory issue it would have been a 360.

Ford Truck Articles