Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

400 Build article

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
Shhhhh...don't tell me or Lee that...pretty sure we've both had ours in excess of 5k.

smiliewhathesaid Truth.

Only 3/4 tons and bigger are for work. 1/2 tons can be for fun but they need to be 2wd and shortbeds.

A come on, you saying my '79 isn't funBdayBigGrin . Aside from pulling the boat once in while it's working days are done.

Shell Rotella 15w40...that's the only thing I'll ever run again.

Well I use that and the Rotella 10w30 in the winter time.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Hmm I get about 80-90 psi on startup at idle and 20 at hot idle with the same oil.

Different engines?????? I dunno. Red has about 50k on the rebuild, and the Bronco 400 is stock with 83K.

Well I use that and the Rotella 10w30 in the winter time.

Doesn't get cold enough here to warrant a seasonal change in oil weight...but if it did, I'd use the 10w30.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
There must be different pans. My dad's 77 150 w/400 holds 6 qts, my 79 250 w/400 holds 7qts. Hmmmmmm

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Pretty sure I only get 6qts in each of mine.

I had a disscussion with a friend of mine... 7 i stoo much, 6 quartes and maybe a 1/2.... more wil make your rig run heavy...

7 quarters made my rig run like hell...

Last edited:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I just checked my 79 owners guide and for all engines it shows 6 US quarts...and that includes one quart for filter replacement

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I just checked my 79 owners guide and for all engines it shows 6 US quarts...and that includes one quart for filter replacement

Same here...just checked and referenced every piece of lit I have, all I see is 6qts. Any chance you have an aftermarket pan Lee?

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
Same here...just checked and referenced every piece of lit I have, all I see is 6qts. Any chance you have an aftermarket pan Lee?

Nope, stock.

Or the dipstick could be bent.

Let's not bring personal issues into this Dan.'smiliedoh'

Seriously though, it's always been that way. If I put 6 in the pan I'm only at the add mark.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
WTF happened to Lee's post.

Edit...nevermind, there it is. Anyway, that's interesting Lee, and I have no explanation.

Last edited:
Another funny thing about the article, your think stock rods conditioned with arp bolts could take 568 hp., or even 6500 rpm? I'm amazed it passed the dyno pulls, but how long is this engine gonna last?

I wanted to go chi on my Tmi 408, but my peak power is guesstimated at 505 hp @6000 rpm which i think is scary, besides this means beefing up the c6 and breaking an axle... when building past 400 hp there's to much detail and consideration to be had...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I was thinking the same thing Joe...sure the dyno numbers look pretty, but I think the build definitely lacked quality in some areas. I'd really like to know how long they figure that thing would hold together. I'm sure it would be fine for normal street driving, but with that kind of power, who's gonna drive like a little old lady.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts