Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

FORD Brake controller

I have a 2008 F450 KR with the FORD brake controller. Has anybody had a problem with this controller NOT working with there electric trailer brakes ? smiliegitrdone

blacksnapon

Staff member
If your trailer has surge or electric/hydraulic brakes, it wont work. You have to get an aftermarket controller, wire it into the harness, then have a Ford dealer disable the brake controller function in the instrument cluster.

This is a brand new GN horse trailer with electric brakes. I can't lock up the wheels no matter what the setting on the controller.

blacksnapon

Staff member
This is a brand new GN horse trailer with electric brakes. I can't lock up the wheels no matter what the setting on the controller.
From here, it would be just making sure everything was hooked up correctly, wired correctly, and the trucks functions were enabled. The trailer may not be wired the same way that the truck is.

CAPofMD

Delaware Chapter member
How heavy is it? The trailer?. I can't LOCK UP my 5th wheel either...I just figured it's too heavy. It will slide the wheels on dirt tho.....But it sure slows down the truck/trailer good!

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
I had an issue with the truck side of the connection grounding out cause the lid did not close properly on it.

Does it/has it worked with other trailers? If so maybe look to the trailer first. If you have never used it buy an aersol can of the electrical connections cleaner and spray both sides of the connection let it dry and give it a try. Do you have a buddy with a brake controller? Have him come over and hook up. Might help isolate the problem. Can you hear the brakes close and open when you do use the controller? What about fuses?

P.S. Welcome to the site.
Not trying to be insulting at all just trying to get a little more info so the folks here can help out a bit better.

Does the stock ford controller have the "gain control" that the aftermarket ones do? Might need cranked up a tad, is all...

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts