Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

300 I-6 Oil Pump Info needed.......

1973 F-100 4x4

'77 F-250 Custom 4x4
A friend of mine has a '93 F-150 with the fuel injected inline six, and his oil pump is shot.
My question is, will the oil pump off of an '85 carbuerated inline six fit?
Or did they change the oil pump that was used over the years?

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
as far as i know the oil pump stayed the same(mounting wise) they might have changed shape but i think that is it.

1973 F-100 4x4

'77 F-250 Custom 4x4
That would be awesome if they are the same, because I have the '85 F-150 2wd with a broken inline six. (broken connecting rod, timing chain, and missing distibutor; some one stole the distibutor.)
And I have been trying to part it out; well, the few salvageable parts there are anyways.
The body is very rusty, and there is no glass left in the cab;(vandalism) but the rear axle, and 4spd manual transmission are good.

Thanks for the info, and I'll let you know if it works!:)

Are you talking about putting a used pump in?

I would just buy a replacement new one from a parts store. This is from the O'reilly auto parts store website.

MELLING AUTOMOTIVE PRODUCTS - New Oil Pump Item No: M74

MELLING AUTOMOTIVE PRODUCTS - Oil Pump Screen Item No: 74S2
$23.99 Each

$21.99 Each

1973 F-100 4x4

'77 F-250 Custom 4x4
Normally, I wouldn't even consider reusing an oil pump, however, the one that is on the '85 only ran for 2 hours before the connecting rod gave out.
The engine was in really bad shape before the oil pump was put in, so I know that it was not at fault.
The rod had been knocking loudly for awhile, so it was only a matter of time.
Basically the pump is still new though, so I trust it enough to try and reuse it.
You have a very good point though, and thank you for trying to help.

Ford Truck Articles