Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

rough idle

K have an 01 f-350 v-10,, just replaced all coils and injectors, thing ran good for a week, now in the morning when started it idles fine until you put in gear, then it runs like crap, get it going down the road it smooths out and wont have any problem the rest of the day. It does idle a little fast though. What am I looking for to fix this
THX
Dave

blacksnapon

Staff member
I'd be looking at an idle air controller. You might try using a rag soaked with carb cleaner and clean both sides of the throttle plate and the throttle body bore.

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
Iac

My guess

I had the throttle body off when I replaced the injectors and coils. I cleaned the bore and plate pretty good. the thing is, after it does this initially it will idle ok at stops thereafter.

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
Still guessing iac

OK, I replaced the IAC and the Throttle position sensor. we will give that a try.
I was not able to find the EGR valve on this puppy, what did they do different on the v-10 of this year.
Thx
Dave

blacksnapon

Staff member
Idle is controlled by regulating air flow. IAC, throttle body, or vacuum leaks will all be a contributor to erratic idle. PCM is the very last option.

How do I rationalize the fact that it only happens during the first start up for the day. in the morning. It idles fine and starts up fine thereafter. If it were the IAC which is new, or a vacuum leak, would that not be a consistant idle problem??
Im baffled here... is there a possibility of the key barrel being the problem. I removed it when I replaced the clock spring and it seems a little loose now??

Ok... I think its the Throttle position sensor or the computer that reads it,,, when i give it throttle during start up the condition does not manifest itself. drove from LA to Salt lake City over T/G and back... ran great on the hwy. Hit traffic out of Las Vegas and rapidly backed off throttle and it happened. Dont know ,,, going to try another TPS and zero the computer. see what happens

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts