Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Crazy, yes. practical, yes

Hello, all! I'm am a newbie on here--so go a little easy--and please know I'm from back when points, condensers, distributor caps and carburetors were what made things go round and round!

My question is this- (background and logic follows) We have a 90 F-250 4X4 with a 5 sp. My better half and I also have a cabin way up high in the woods 45 miles from the nearest anything, and we both like to take off on horses or 4-wheelers for many miles using that cabin as a base. We are both getting older--kinda forgetful. Soooo, I want to make this 460 a NON fuel injection, NON electronic ignition, NON keyed switch (a toggle switch and push button will do nicely, thank you!) bypass all the electrical crap so we can pull start it if that emergency ever comes up, start it without the key that fell out of my pocket at 14,000 feet, and not worry about some electrical widget going bad when the snow is a foot deep when we're out of firewood and beans--and the kids and grandkids can go up there and start it and get around.

Now-- the question-- it is possible to take all the fuel injection goop off this 460, replace it with a good 'ol 4bbl intake, a 4 bbl Edelbrock, and bypass all the electrical junk and make this happen? Mileage is not a factor. State inspections are not a factor. Liscense tags are not a factor.

Starting and running after setting idle for 6 months without a key or computer glitch is!

Y'alls thoughts?

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Well I'll preface my reply by saying I'm not 100% sure. However I did this to a GM of similar age once and it was pretty straightforward. Swap the manifold and distributor, bypass the electric fuel pumps. There will likely be minor inconveniences to overcome, such as throttle cable/linkage and a few other things I can't remember but overall I believe those first EFI engines were the same old engine of years past underneath

Ford Truck Articles