Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

sterling 9.75 questions

hey guys.

so i been playing around with the idea putting an 9.75 axle under my 77 from a 05-07 van. i a little more inclined to this route over building a ford 9", because i get a axle that comes with disc brakes, and it has a high payload rating then 9".

the only think that is holding me up finding a drive line yoke that will bolt to the sterling's flange style yoke. does any one know were to find one. im going to but a call into my driveline shop monday.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I suspect that you'd have to have a driveshaft made up to fit. The 9 inch can be converted to disc (which I suspect you know).
Given that it's a half ton, I'm not sure what you would gain with that diff...
On my own build, I have Moser axle shafts....which I figure will be fine for around 3700 lbs ish with 500+ hp.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
If you have the driveshaft side flange I would think you could get a combination ujoint to attach it to your current driveshaft if I'm picturing the setup right.

Last edited:
I suspect that you'd have to have a driveshaft made up to fit. The 9 inch can be converted to disc (which I suspect you know).
Given that it's a half ton, I'm not sure what you would gain with that diff...
On my own build, I have Moser axle shafts....which I figure will be fine for around 3700 lbs ish with 500+ hp.

cost is big factor in that. yes i can build a 9" tru trac with disks. for total of 2 to 2.5 grand depending if i built it from scratch or buy assembled parts. or i can get a used sterling out of a junk yard and rebuild it with a tru trac for less then 1200. i guess its all about what you start with but right now all i have a c7aw case (that needs a diff carier and gears) and a good axle housing.

i think one could gain a little more load capacity with the sterling. a 9" truck housing has a gawr of 3600 while the sterling is 4500. i have a set of springs rated at 5000lb for the pair. your right though but at the end of the day its still just a half ton frame, and no that i plan on loading 1/2 ton to the hilt and then some.

SuperCab

from my reading your right on that. i just been trying to track down that flange (i think i found it form ford)

Attachments

• 366904d1423587316-flange-yoke-forumrunner_20150210_115510.jpg

Ford Truck Articles