Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Powerstroke 4.5L?!

so I was lookin' through the truck paper the other day, and saw an LCF L55
with the above engine, never heard of these before, did a quick search here and got nothin'... anyone had any experience with these, seeing as how they are a smaller version of the 6.0, I'd be a little leery. But man, if Ford came out with a new Ranger with one of these... whoo doggy!

this might help: http://www.truckpaper.com/list/list...Manu=FORD&Mdltxt=LCF+L55&mdlx=exact&bcatid=27

Last edited:

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
wow... never heard of that... interested to see what other members know about it...

my first thought is that its not really a powerstroke, but not sure...

That engine is a 6.0 less two cylinders. During the development of that engine there was a whole bunch of hope (in conjunction with a mention on Ford's vehicle website) that a diesel was soon to be readied and available for the F150. While that engine was being developed, Ford's and International's relationship began to sour and as far as I know, the only place you see them is in the LCF application.

ahh, yes, thanks for reminding me Blue Goose, I recall a lot of hubub about the diesel F150, still gonna keep my eyes peeled for one of these rigs though, I know alot of peaple that are happy with the Nissan Fuso's, and Mitsu whatevers, lol.
On an unrelated note, Supercab, you out there in the 'patch? how's that goin'?

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
ahh, yes, thanks for reminding me Blue Goose, I recall a lot of hubub about the diesel F150, still gonna keep my eyes peeled for one of these rigs though, I know alot of peaple that are happy with the Nissan Fuso's, and Mitsu whatevers, lol.
On an unrelated note, Supercab, you out there in the 'patch? how's that goin'?

pretty good out here on the frozen tundra... can smell the crude oil from the well a mile from here as i type this...

if any of you are construction workers, truck drivers, oil workers, or just have a strong back and will show up every day, we need you here in the great frozen north... 1.3% unemployment... lowest in the nation.

my home looks just exactly like your avatar... travel trailer. be it ever so humble... :rofl2:

yah, dat's whut I been hearin', eh! Might gonna put my CDL to good use again... just not ready to give up what I got right now, yet. Course freezin' my butt off in the Sierra's versus the Dakota's seems like a fair trade :cool:

I don't think the introduction of the ecoboost engine helped a small diesel's chances either!

Ryan

yah, an' premium gas is still cheaper than diesel :headbang:

Do you guys get the toyota 4.5l twin turbo v8 diesel over there? - we have a few out here (70 series) and a friend of mine works in a coal mine where they have these for runaround trucks .... the company have given him one to use and he loves it.
He also says that they are easy to "hot" up with a chip upgrade and showed me this website in europe.

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2008/04/toyota-land-cruiser-45l-v8-diesel-318hp.html

Technical Data: V8-cylinder turbo diesel • displacement 4461cm3 • performance increase with accessory device up to 234kW/318hp (standard 210 kW/286 hp at 4000/min.) • permanent 4-wheel-drive • with delta4x4 780Nm at 1600-2800 rpm instead of standard 650Nm • length/breadth/height 4950/1970/1866 mm • fuel tank 93l • standard top speed 210kmph • delta4x4 top speed 218kmph • standard 0-100kmph in 8,2 sec. • delta4x4 0-100kmph in 7,8sec. • consumption 10,2 l diesel/100km • CO2 270 g/km.

man, Kiwi, ya'll git all the kewl stuff! if VW can make the TDI work here why not all the others? heard there's even a turbodiesel Subaru Forester w/6spd out there, I'd carjack somebody for that...

and thanks for that article SuperDuty, gonna read it while I eat dinner smilieeatndrink

a few memorable quotes:

The Powerstroke V-6 was also the loudest diesel on the market, with a constant clatter, and a prominent high speed whine produced by the twin Turbochargers. smiliepeelout

These things are about as desirable as herpes :nutkick:

man, Kiwi, ya'll git all the kewl stuff! if VW can make the TDI work here why not all the others? heard there's even a turbodiesel Subaru Forester w/6spd out there, I'd carjack somebody for that...

and thanks for that article SuperDuty, gonna read it while I eat dinner smilieeatndrink

Most of our vehicles are imported from Japan or other asian countries with the occasional euro included as our fuel prices are high $8.16 / us gal 93 octane and $5.48 / us gal for diesel which unfortunately means that we don't see very many of your cool trucks and cars out here also because we are a small market it's not worth the manufacturer making them in RHD for us:headbang: ...... thats why we pay so much for them secondhand like this on e which they are asking $35k for

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/ford/harley/auction-396026836.htm

http://www.drivesouth.co.nz/news/ro...l-diesel-forester-boxes-on-with-fuel-use-redu

forestor_diesel.jpg

http://www.toyota.com.au/landcruiser-70-series/range

ToyotaLandcruiser70series.jpg

omg, yer killin' me Mark! smilieleghump
how's the job market for foriegners down there?

and if it makes ya feel better, my diesel gets about 15mpg at $4.19 a gallon here. if my math is correct, those Cruza's git aboot 30mpg...

Hi Clutch

In the next 12 months or less New Zealand will need a large influx of workers to rebuild earthquake damaged Christchurch city which will be onging for at least ten years and if you have skills in the construction or civil engineering industry or even anything related then i wouldn't think you would have a problem picking something up - keep an eye on these two sites below and also read the online version of the Christchurch Press
( http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press )

http://www.trademe.co.nz/jobs

http://www.seek.co.nz/?tracking=job...gl:txt_ad:nz&gclid=CM6sgfnx2asCFa4A4godEgn1Nw

70 series gets about 11 litres/100km
100km = 62.14 miles
11 litres = 2.91 gal (3.78 litres/us gal)
62.14 miles divided by 2.91 gal = 21.35 mpg usa

But just to make it look better out here we use imperial gallons which are 4.54 litres to the imp gallon which then makes it around 25.67 mpgYelloThumbUp

based on my math one can surmise I'm no engineer, lol. but thanks for those links, definately some interesting reading, really need to locate my passport...

btw, just read your post on new 5cyl. Ranger! :jumping: not helping with the calm, rational decision-making process :)

one thing makes me leery: right-hand drive/left-side of the road.

Last edited:
based on my math one can surmise I'm no engineer, lol. but thanks for those links, definately some interesting reading, really need to locate my passport...

btw, just read your post on new 5cyl. Ranger! :jumping: not helping with the calm, rational decision-making process :)

one thing makes me leery: right-hand drive/left-side of the road.

Its all the same - just remember to keep the center line of the road closest to the steering wheel ..... you might take longer to get used to the gear changes with the left hand though.

I have to think about it a little bit more though as my F150 is still LHD

100_0758.JPG

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Its all the same - just remember to keep the center line of the road closest to the steering wheel ..... you might take longer to get used to the gear changes with the left hand though.

I rented a RHD car in Ireland- picked it up at the Dublin airport in a snowstorm, after an all night flight.

Other side of the road, no problem. Clockwise roundabouts no problem. Shifting gears left-handed was a little odd, so I just kept my hand on the shifter all the time for the first few hours, 'til I got used to it. Only real hard part was remembering where the corners of the car were when I was sliding sideways on icy roads (damn rental car tires).

yah, emergency manuavers would be a bit different...

still daydreaming about this excursion, not sure how I could make it work right now, we'll see.

Ford Truck Articles