Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Convert a 300 to points ignition?

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Does anybody know where I could source parts to convert a 1979 300 to points ignition?

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
More specifically, from what? I don't know enough about the history of the 300 to know when it got electronic ignition. Do you have a year?

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID

Fellro

Staff member
He is wanting to ditch the DS II and go TO points, he has the DS II now. And typically, points ended across the board on domestics in 74. 75 generally was all electronic.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Thanks for the cut off date guys. I was not sure when points ended. Now I know what year I need.

Thanks again.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Personal preference. :)

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
fair enough. I can't stand the trouble of points when personally I've never had any trouble with the duraspark. some people hate it.

Or are you one of the ones that believes that in the event of a nuclear EMP the points will still work but the duraspark will be hopelessly fried? :rofl2:

Yes I know what EMP stands for, and thats not what I asked....

I don't see how that would fry the condenser....

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
I wont say that the EMP discussion has never entered my mind. however, that is not the reason but it is a plus. ;)

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
And that pertains to this thread how? :suspicious:

:D

I asked the question here a while back , "Would an EMP fry the duraspark". but no one knew.

I did read though, that if you knew it was coming you could disconnect any wires going to (any of ) the electronics and save them. Theory is the wires act as antennas to attract the magnetic waves that fry the electronics. Then plug it back in, and you should be good to go.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
But with an EMP, you won't "see" it coming. Also, anything with an integrated, or complex circuit will likely be rendered useless, whether it is turned on/connected or not.

I don't know what the Duraspark has for circuits, I am not an electrician, and do not claim to have any electrical knowledge. Mostly all of what I say is just regurgitated from other sources.

Fellro

Staff member
DS II as any electronic ignition uses transistors and diodes and resistors, in essence a low power computer of a sort, so it would be useless in that kind of event. Since points are mechanical, with no diodes, chips or such, they would be fine. The condenser would be unaffected. It needs direct voltage.

Ford Truck Articles