Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

360 fe issuse

Hello there fellow ford fans I am having trouble reviving my 1975 F250 360 FE So the problem is with the harmonic balancer when im trying to set the timing i painted where the 0 degrees is so its easier to time. I noticed where 0 should be consistent.. its not.. I had someone tell me its the timing chain, swapped that out and now the mark will be consistent for a second and then jump around.. The chain was a double roller summit timing chain
so what do you guys think?

Harmonic balancer rubber dry rotted and jumping around?

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
When you have a timing light on the harmonic balancer, when the light flashes your pointer should be at the 10* mark...

If its less than that, loosen the distributor and turn just a hair clockwise and tighten and recheck..

With an initial of 10* right? I Marked the 0* with a paint marker so when I start timing with an initial of 10* I should get 10* tbdc.. my dizzy is facing strait..
I need to understand something with the vacuum advance disconnected and both vacuum ports plugged when I set the timing should the dizzy be jumping (retarding and advancing) by 2* ? I'm going to check if it does......

Also there is no jumping (advancing & retarding) when the V/A is disconnected.. So the jumping was defiantly caused by the V/A
I have another question on timing when I set the timing for an initial of 16 what should I get when shes running? 0*??

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
You have to set the timing with the vacuum advance disconnected.. At idle it should show apparently 8* according to Matt.. He's more versed in this series engine...

Then when you plug tha vacuum advance back in it should advance higher... Like 30ish but not sure exact numbers...

6 - 8 degrees on a 360 FE. No more to be safe.
Actually retroactively us 360FE owners have changed it to:
"no less than 10 BTDC". ...and 12 won't hurt if it don't ping. :)

What caused the change was a bunch of us were noticing our
FE's getting hotter than normal while sitting in traffic and the
avace to >10* fixed it, just like that. No kidding.

The 360FE in particular with it's lower than normal compression
ratio can handle the advance.

Anyway, won't hurt to try it and it won't hurt to keep it in mind
if you notice yours getting warmer than normal sitting in traffic.

Alvin in AZ

Ford Truck Articles