Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Think I need a new wheel bearing

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
The old girl made a awful gringing noise the other day thought it's just ice
Pushing on the dust shield scraping.
Well it did it again be it didn't stop this time, sure sounds like a new front hub is in the near future. To darn old to fool with it right now.
A Toyota Tundra back into me the other day also. I was a good 30 foot from him and he backed it to my front bumper. Didn't even scratch the ranger, about torn the bumper off and crinkled his lower quarter panel. My front tow hooks took the punishment and delt his damage.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
The winter and salt usually put the last nail into a component's weak spot. Enjoy your new wheel hub.

The battery in our car is from 2010, and with these cold snaps has held up. It's a miracle, the thing has been a ticking time bomb for years. But it's hanging on like Betty White.

Ryan

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Those hubs are a weak link in these trucks.
At least they’re easy to replace.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Nice warm weather this week, better jump on it....LOL

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I remember looking for a hub for our son's '93 Ranger. I seem to remember it was a very limited selection. They had to know engine size, axle ratio, auto or manual, and wheel base?, etc, etc. I finally found one at a wrecking yard 200 miles away.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Randy's (and my) Ranger are a different front end than the '93s...it's basically just a bearing with a big chunk of iron around it...mine came off the shelf at, uh, some local parts store.

Probably varies 4x2 or 4x4 but otherwise I think all the same...

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Yep a entire unit and easy peasy to change.they run about 125.00 local or I can order one for about 60 bucks.

I'll just pick one up local and swap it out Saturday or sunday supposed in the uer 40's. Heck that is shors weather compared to the recent weather -15 and highs of 10 . Don't want to wait and have it down in the single digits and have to heat up the garage. The 2 and 4 wheel units are different

Last edited:

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
If I remember right, that includes a new abs sensor too.....

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
It was definitely bad.
One of the bolts stripped off got to love the salt it even rusts the bolt heads to where a socket won't hold.
4d0fd472575b18f0350aac19a625184c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
You don't think that's good for another couple years?

:rofl:

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Hell, that'll buff right out!!!!!!

TBH, I never saw a bearing roll over and play dead before.

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Be grateful on the cost of the replacement since in the beginning they cost $300 each for OEM, and aftermarket anything didn't exist. I hate lubed for life crap because it means life of part, not what it's installed in.

Ford Truck Articles