Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

exactly what i was afraid of

I tried to fix it and made it worse :headbang: its a 4.0L V6 EFI with distributorless ignition what would cause backfiring Cam position sensor or EDIS pack maybe it had a rough idle then i took the whole intake off and cleaned it upper/lower/throttle body and replaced gaskets now it either revs high or up and down (took IAC off left wires connected revs very high, IAC off wires connected plugged IAC hole it revs up and down or just dies) no movement from IAC mechanism in either case unplugged mass air before new gaskets would clear idle problem but has no affect after new gaskets could IAC stuck open cause backfiring

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Sounds like you introduced a vacuum leak when putting it back together causing the idle problems.
When does it backfire? at idle or at higher rpms, etc
A bad coil pack is one of the main causes for a backfire in these engines.

Last edited:
Sounds like you introduced a vacuum leak when putting it back together causing the idle problems.
When does it backfire? at idle or at higher rpms, etc
A bad coil pack is one of the main causes for a backfire in these engines.

smiliewhathesaid sorry i didn't what i found but u called it dead on when i put new intake gaskets on i tweaked the egr valve tube which put a large crack in it. rather than spending $200 for the replacement part a $5 tube of exhaust repair puddy did the trick
smilieFordlogo

Ford Truck Articles