Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Dual Exhaust

TazDevil07

Go Ahead and Git Some Boy
I'd like your opinions on dual exhaust on a 4.0 Ranger. I'd love to get Borla but they don't make it for my year, or so their site said. So, I'm opting more towards Flows over Mags. What are your thoughts?

Don't they make a flow muff thats specific for small trucks?

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
What I have come to find is that the 40 series flowmasters are made for big v8's. they sound like tin cans when you put them on a 6 cyl. Recently we put a 50 series flowmaster on Erica's mustang and it disguises that sound that is awful that the 40 series produces at high RPM's. I'd suggest the 50 series.

Ryan

TazDevil07

On my 4.0 Mustang I had, I put Mags, single exhaust. It had a nice rumble but not loud. I want my Ranger to be loud, thus the non-mags. I'll look into the 50's. I've heard 40's on a sixer and didn't like it (raspy, ricey like), imo.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Well that's the sacrifice. The 50's are quieter, so maybe it's not the best option for you. It masks the tin can sound that the 40's get from the 6 and sacrifices volume. Maybe you should be thinking Cherry bombs or something.

Ryan

TazDevil07

Well that's the sacrifice. The 50's are quieter, so maybe it's not the best option for you. It masks the tin can sound that the 40's get from the 6 and sacrifices volume. Maybe you should be thinking Cherry bombs or something.

Ryan

hehehe....I don't want "cherry bomb" loud.

I'll have to check those vids. I'm almost def on the flows but too many decisions :(

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
With modern Catalytic Converters, most of the sound is lost there. Even if you put a cherry bomb on the exhaust, it's not going to really be *that* loud.

Tom has the right idea with the youtube. That's what Erica did before she chose which muffler to put on her mustang.

Ryan

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I think to get the loudest sound you want your going to have to go with Glass packs.
If your ranger is like mine there's no hope for a really good sounding system.

Shocker

Charter Member
Had a flow 40 on girl friends truck, took it off sound like crap to me and her. Now on my 87 ranger they are sounding good but I have a 302 in it

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
I say go with glasspacks, as Ryan said, the cat quiets it down a bunch.

I wouldnt go with cheap glasspacks though, cause before long you might aswell have a straight pipe. and remember, the longer it is the quieter it is..

TazDevil07

I don't think glasspacks will pass inspection here, even though thats a couple years from now. I don't want to have to switch back and forth, now what I mean? I needs something for sure. I think I'm just gonna go with flows. I've been debating this toooo long. Thanks for all the input.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
I don't think glasspacks will pass inspection here, even though thats a couple years from now. I don't want to have to switch back and forth, now what I mean? I needs something for sure. I think I'm just gonna go with flows. I've been debating this toooo long. Thanks for all the input.

Glasspacks SHOULD pass inspection, but you never know...

We ain't got inspection here luckily :D (my truck wouldnt have to go anyway I don't believe, since it's a '50 model.)

TazDevil07

Yeah unfortunately Delaware is HORRIBLE with emissions inspections! They fine tooth em everytime!

TazDevil07

Thats ideal, no cats and straight pipe but....well that isn't happening for my Ranger....maybe I should move? lmao j/k

Blade

Backwoods boy
:rofl: they did away with inspections in Kentucky a few years ago. i guess if they didnt then a lot of people hwere i live would not be driving

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
maybe I should move? lmao j/k

That would work.. smilietease

Could you just clamp the glasspacks in, instead of welding? that you could switch them FAIRLY easily, and also if you got tired of the sound, it wouldn't be hard to change..

TazDevil07

Yeah, motor vehicle is about the worse thing I can say about Delaware. I've lived here all my life. The 2nd worse thing is all the dang tourists! When I took my mustang through, and it was absolutely stock, they fine toothed it. Had mirrors underneath it and all. Really sucks!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts