Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

2004 Jaguar X-Type

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Well, well, well, what do we have here? I finally replaced my wrecked Taurus with a new, daily driver, that is what! The cool thing is that I can still post on a Ford forum about it! ;)

My X-Type has is based on the Ford CD132 platform, and a close relative of the Ford Mondeo in Europe. It has a 2.5L Duratec V6, equipped with VVT thanks to Jaguar engineers. It has a 5 speed manual transmission, and all wheel drive.

It needs a little mechanical work, mainly rear suspension bushings, and cosmetic work here and there. It is a fun little car that is a blast to drive, I can't wait for winter to come for all wheel drive shenanigans! :D

It needs a deep cleaning, and a good wax and polish after that. Austin has been steering me down the right path, since I don't think I can coax him up here, even with a heated garage! :D

Forum etiquette dictates pictures, so here is something for you guys to look at:

IMG_20140821_103800_887_zps8e9242d0.jpg

IMG_20140821_103743_163_zpsbe5d8bbb.jpg

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Cool...that AWD will be nice for Winter!

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Yep! Now I will only be taking a truck if there is a lot of accumulation. The AWD on this car is biased 40/60 front/rear. It behaves a little more like a rear wheel drive for fun times, but with the added traction of AWD.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Ah, Yes, but it's a Ford no more. Jaguar was sold to TATA industries in India when the economy went south. Ford sold Land rover, Aston-Martin, Jaguar, and Mazda. They also trimmed Mercury from the lineup.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Yep, I am fully aware, but that doesn't take all of the ford stickers and emblems off of various parts in this car. ;) I will take what small comforts I can get. :D

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Jealous panda...I'm a huge Jag fan.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Sweet ride, man! Manual Transmission + AWD makes for an exciting and unique ride. That's a great find, let alone purchase! You don't see that every day.

Ryan

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Thanks everyone, I love this car more and more, everyday. It truly makes driving fun again!

Here are a few pics, thank you to Austin for the tips! Don't look at the car though, it is filthy.

Before:
IMG_20140903_064935_742_zpse05bf16b.jpg

After:
IMG_20140903_064942_053_zps291ea5b4.jpg

rambler

New Shoes......
nice looking ride..I would be a little afraid of working on it,, or what the cost would be if I had to take it to a shop...

very nice

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
It is no different than any other car if you do the work yourself. If you take it to a shop, you will pay a premium based on the name, but I can't tell you the last time I had a vehicle in any shop.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Austin, what do you recommend for wheel polishing? I hate these wheels, they were the free extra set I got with it. I am using one as a spare, and want to deal with the corrosion before it gets worse. I was going to polish them and try to sell them off for whatever I could get, because I would never use them, but it is nice having a fullsize spare. It actually fits in the trunk well, perfectly.

IMG_20140904_162621_500_zpscjsfkzjp.jpg

IMG_20140904_162642_064_zpslg4bjqes.jpg

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Those are effed. Chrome polish by hand will clear up the good spots, though.

Headlights look good, BTW!

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Thanks!

The rims are hideous, not even considering the pitting. What would do that to them? I am not a chrome type of guy, anyway. I have 16s on the car, and an 18" spare. :D

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Salt, mostly. Any chromed surface can withstand corrosion with proper maintenance, but those wheels obviously were uncleaned for some time.

Question... if you hold the unlock button on your key fob, does it roll down the windows?

You need to get these rims (btw, you can parts share with the LS, to some extent).

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Thanks! I knew about LS parts, if my engine were ever to go, I know where to find a low miles LS V6.

If I ever decide to get different wheels, they would be factory Jag wheels.

I will let you know about key fobs. Both of mine have corroded circuit boards, I have new ones on the way across the ocean. Cheap over there.

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
This guy ^^^ is still jelly...

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Ben, it is so stinking fun to drive, I can't wait for snow!

Ford Truck Articles