Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Block Heater - Use Large Guage Extension Cord!!!

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
With the temps being as low as they are in various parts of the country, here are a few tips when using the block heater in your 6.0L PSD.

1) All 6.0L PSD motors have the heater, but not all came with the actual power cord... or it is tucked up by the passenger side tow-hook area or up under the bumper.

2) If you have the cord - great... if not, you can buy one and install it.

3) If you are using your block heater, it will draw between 1,000 - 1,200 watts of power - which is quite a bit!!!

4) Most people find that they only need to have it plugged in between 3 - 6 hours depending on ambient temps. Leaving it plugged in all night will not hurt anything, but will use a lot of energy to run your 1,000 - 1,200 watts all night... every night!!!

5) Use a heavy guage extension cord so you do not loose energy and use a length that is the shortest to get the job done. The smaller the guage and the longer the cord, you will not get a full amount of watts/amps to your block heater.

6) Many use (as I do) an outdoor rated timer which comes as either 15 amps or 20 amps. I chose the 20 amp model to be safe and now that no line loss will ocurr, but either will work. Check Home Depot... I thinki the brand I have is Intermatic?

Personally, I use a bright yellow 25' 10 guage extension cord for maximum electrical power to my block heater. I think 12 guage will work as well?

Again, make sure your using the largest guage extension cord you can and use a quality outdoor timer capable of 1,000+ or more watts so you don't have to leave it on all night and just have it come on 3 - 6 hours before you drive off.

Good luck....

Power(watts)= Volts x amps so a 1000 watt load into a single phase 120 volt circuit will draw 8.333 amps. NEC code allows 20 amps through a 12 gauge wire up to something like 150 feet(unsure of exact amount) at which point you need to derate the wire capacity by some amount to account for the voltage drop you mention. I would say 10 ga is an overkill but then again we own trucks that will rip out tree stumps so I'd say overkill is par for the course. 12 gauge works just fine. Great reminder!

Last edited:

radialarm

Clown of Death!
When I was young and broke all the time. No money for a new battery. I used to put a drop light next to the radiator on cold nights to keep the engine warm, so it would start the next morning. It worked like a charm.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
When I was young and broke all the time. No money for a new battery. I used to put a drop light next to the radiator on cold nights to keep the engine warm, so it would start the next morning. It worked like a charm.

Boy, now that is "good ol' American engineering at its finest....

Now days, that is what is referred to as a "Presidential solution" instead of "****** rigging". That's my salesman joke of the week.
smilieneenar smilieneenar smilieneenar smilieneenar smilieneenar

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
A short cord . I used to have semis . And hey pulled abut same . Less than 10-15 ft is good . any more and you'll have some hot reciprocals

i have had problems with my block heater some times it works and sometimes it flips brakers i use a heavy yellow cable only 25 ft. the braker is a 20 amp. when the heater does work with in secounds you can here it boiling. some one told me i could get a new one that is a smaller wattage .... if you can help me out that will be great i dont need it anymore this year

Ford Truck Articles