Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

71 super custom

Just picked up a 71. 2 wheel drive. Factory air PS power brakes. Going to just get it up and running and use it for a truck.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

uploadfromtaptalk1434927160850.jpg

This is it. The previous owner put updated wheels and rear bumper on it. I'm going to look for some steel wheels with dog dishes and the right bumper.

Eventually I'm going to use it to tow the boat.
uploadfromtaptalk1434927316230.jpg

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Looks fairly solid, has it been lowered?

I think it has. It looks like they removed a leave from the rear. The front I'm not sure of.

This is not going to be a frame off resto. Just the basics to make it a driver. And reliable. It does need some love. But I'm pumped about it. I've wanted one for a long time. I had been looking for long bed trucks but this one checked all the right boxes

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Cool, looking forward to seeing your progress!

Fellro

Staff member
Its stance looks to have definitely been lowered a little. They generally have the full tire exposed , not tucked in the fender well.
You have a real good starting base there.

Big Jim F150

73-79 Ford Trucks Rock
Nice truck, it's got potential just take your time, be patient , BUT don't get discouraged with it, although they can throw you for a loop or two at times, and PLEASE remember to have fun while working on it, for these old trucks can be a lot of fun, and part of that fun is going to the junkyards and salvage yards, you'll also hear terms like Bump, Bumpside, Dent, and Dentside . Bump and Bumpside are slang terms that refer to the 1967- 1072 body style and that Dent Dentside are slang terms for the 1973-1979 body style . 1974 was the first year for the Super Cab, 1975 was the first year of the F-150, which was a heavier GVW half ton to get away from the unleaded fuel and emissions, and 1978 was the first year for the Ranger Lariat which was the luxury model, and 1079 was the first year that required the use of unleaded fuel in the full line of Ford trucks due to stricter emissions regulations. Hopefully you'll find this helpful to you. And welcome to the ole FTF, and another website / forum that you might find useful and informative is http://www.fordification.com which is strictly 1967 to 1972 Ford trucks. smilieFordlogosmilieFordlogo

This will be a fun project. I built a rocker crawler from the ground up. This one will not be anything that hardcore. Just little things to make it a fun runner

Big Jim. That's great advice and info. I built a rock crawler CJ7 from the ground up. I have no desire to do that again till I own a shop or garage to work out of.

View attachment 3784

This is it. The previous owner put updated wheels and rear bumper on it. I'm going to look for some steel wheels with dog dishes and the right bumper.

Eventually I'm going to use it to tow the boat.
View attachment 3785

Thats a nice truck...:)

In that pic,the truck may appear lowered because its cinched
down to the trailer?
Also,are you replacing the crome stripping,or are you going
to eliminate the holes?

I took my stripping off,an welded the holes on my truck!...:)

Fellro

Staff member
That would be cinched down crazy tight if it is the case...

The suspension is not compressed. You shouldn't be compressing the suspension when you are towing something on a trailer. By doing that you are waiting for the vehicles suspension to compress and the straps to loosen allowing the load to move on the trailer. I have four straps here creating Xs on the axle for the rear and to the beams in the front. The front did not get Xs because I had the wrong ends on theses straps.

uploadfromtaptalk1435199374594.jpg

Most of the trim holes have been filled. Someone else alreadybstarted that project. For now I'm not going to worry about it.

It does run now. I can't seem to upload the video but it sounds good. Checked the timing and the carb. The power steering was bleed. New battery was also installed. No picturds of that because its pretty straight forward.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk

The suspension is not compressed. You shouldn't be compressing the suspension when you are towing something on a trailer. By doing that you are waiting for the vehicles suspension to compress and the straps to loosen allowing the load to move on the trailer. I have four straps here creating Xs on the axle for the rear and to the beams in the front. The front did not get Xs because I had the wrong ends on theses straps.

View attachment 3786

Most of the trim holes have been filled. Someone else alreadybstarted that project. For now I'm not going to worry about it.

It does run now. I can't seem to upload the video but it sounds good. Checked the timing and the carb. The power steering was bleed. New battery was also installed. No picturds of that because its pretty straight forward.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk

Ah,I see, I thought maybe it was cinched down by the frame,causing
it to compress the suspension!:)

So. Spent some time on the truck. Figured out how it was lowered. They cut a coil out of the front springs and removed some of the pack in the back.

Took it for a little ride and it runs great. The brakes have some air in the lines. Need to bleed them some more. Power steering still needs more bleeding. But it doesn't smoke at all.

But it has already had the points removed and an electronic setup done in the distibutor. New plugs wires cap and rotor. Headers have been installed also by the previous owner. The heater core has been removed so I need to find one to install.

Tomorrow I am going to change the fluids and bleed the other systems. Making progress. Over all its solid.
311cecee0069370f7113363983f08127.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1435361132645.jpg

nice truck, my dad just picked up a 3rd 5th gen a couple weeks ago. its a 68 long bed for 400... no rust at all decent patina and got it running and driving in about 30 minutes

Well after jumping through the hoops to get it tagged and titled it is done.

First order of business is to figure out what parts were used when the disc brake conversion was done. I think the master is no good. I ordered a factory 71 master for power brakes and it's not right. The ports are on wrong side.

257929b6bf2969f5fdd3ebcceaa638e8.jpg

88aab1374e4c95b20624211a43523f44.jpg

In looking at pictures on Google it looks like it could be a mid 80's f150 master.

I did try to lengthen the push rod. It made no changes to the pedal feel.

When the truck is running and you push on the pedal it goes to the floor before anything happens. Pumping it up makes no difference either. If you put the pedal to the floor and put it in hear it won't idle through the brakes. It will keep it from moving. But it doesn't instill confidence to drive it on the street.

And some more pictures because everyone likes pictures.

4dd866a3872c6cf3089c988f2c891e5b.jpg

8d897d96ad3409b885a4c5d4b7f96d0e.jpg

Last edited:

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Well after jumping through the hoops to get it tagged and titled it is done.

First order of business is to figure out what parts were used when the disc brake conversion was done. I think the master is no good. I ordered a factory 71 master for power brakes and it's not right. The ports are on wrong side.

257929b6bf2969f5fdd3ebcceaa638e8.jpg

88aab1374e4c95b20624211a43523f44.jpg

In looking at pictures on Google it looks like it could be a mid 80's f150 master.

I did try to lengthen the push rod. It made no changes to the pedal feel.

When the truck is running and you push on the pedal it goes to the floor before anything happens. Pumping it up makes no difference either. If you put the pedal to the floor and put it in hear it won't idle through the brakes. It will keep it from moving. But it doesn't instill confidence to drive it on the street.

And some more pictures because everyone likes pictures.

4dd866a3872c6cf3089c988f2c891e5b.jpg

8d897d96ad3409b885a4c5d4b7f96d0e.jpg

I absolutely love this rig.....I'm jealous.....the compressor looks new also.....does the AC in this beast work?

Like everyone is saying, you snagged a really clean and solid rig.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
^^^don't know what the ac configs looked like in the Gen 5's, but in the dents, there was generally those large black boxes on the passenger side of the engine bay.....mine was professionally hidden under the dash in my 77 specifically for show, but is normal in the 79.

Ford Truck Articles