Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

fuel filter info

swapped out my fuel filter for the 1st time this week, after the dummy light came on... had to do it in the dark, was a bit of an ordeal, but I got it, unfortunately, I think I may have cracked the plastic screw-on bottom piece, where the sensor plugs in (thinking it may have just been loose to begin with, anyway), and is it an overflow drain there too? There's bit of fuel leaking, thought maybe I had just boogered up the gasket so I kept trying to tighten it, but now it seems like I'm feeling a large crack under there, I assume I can just order a new piece? anyone know what they are called or have any info on this matter? thanks

Last edited:

Fellro

Staff member
That actually is a water drain. The light doesn't come on for a plugged filter, it comes on for water in the fuel, which only requires you to open the drain and dump the water out. It is possible that you may have inadvertently opened the drain a little. The plug is there to detect water, personally not sure where you ind replacements. On the older 6,9's like mine you just get the filter, there is no water trap on them as they had a separate unit for that which was generally junk.

hmm, alright, that explains a few things, I did fill up my rear tank that I don't usually use, at a Chevron in Verdi, NV, the night before, light started coming on the next morning. Thought maybe some of that biodiesel I ran over the summer was catching up with me, lol. How does that drain work? do you twist something? I'll look at up when it warms up out there! thanks again Fellro.

Fellro

Staff member
I'll have to get a look, have a couple parts trucks with the updated filter/water separator like yours.

Fellro

Staff member
I did finally get a look at the one on the 88, and I have no clue how to drain the water without making a major mess...

mine has a rubber tube that connects to the bottom to the screw on bottom (that screws to the filter itself, and it's the piece I cracked), tube then goes down to a metal rod that slides up and down, I'm not gonna worry about it too much at this point, but I do need to get a to dealer to see if I can replace the broken piece...

Fellro

Staff member
I haven't and likely won't be taking mine apart, as I need to see if the motor will run, haven't had time to fiddle with it, although the other is missing the trans and IP, so I could take it apart. I know the base screws on, but I only found electrical hookups, no drains. I'll see about the other. If you can't get a replacement reasonable, give me a holler.

thanks fellro, yeah, I don't wanna mess with it too much right now, dang filters cost $45! but I do want to replace the cracked piece at some point, need to talk to Ford... mine has the drain and sensor on the bottom, thinkin' I maybe cracked it when I pried it off with my leatherman.

Fellro

Staff member
What did you pry on? The bottom of the filter that is one th bottom screws off.

yeah, the sensor is in like a little rubber L-shaped boot, and in a stroke of mechanical genius, I used my leatherman pliers as a pry lever :)

finally got the part number, 9A343, price: $70! yeah, it's leakin a bit of fuel, but 70 bucks buys a good amount of diesel...

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Is this the part you're talking about?

dark+horse-albums-93+truck+parts-picture67425-fuel-filter-base-outer.jpg

hey, that's it!

Ford Truck Articles