Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

MPG question

I have a Supercab long bed truck. Am going to either go with a 460 or 7.3 non-Powerstroke. My question is what kind of fuel milage should I expect out of the 7.3? Fuel around here runs about .10 higher than Gas. So that is why I am asking. Thanks for any responce. By the way I am not looking for 40mpg or anything just need the info to make a choice on one or the other.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
yup I was hoping to get around 14-15 so I think I will go for the 7.3. And in a few months I will be looking at all these other posts on how to get more power lol

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
One small thing to think about- $$$$'s. All things bieng equal, the IDI will get better mileage- but all things aren't equal. The 460's are relatively available and cheap- so are replacment parts. Not so the diesel.

One small thing to think about- $$$$'s. All things bieng equal, the IDI will get better mileage- but all things aren't equal. The 460's are relatively available and cheap- so are replacment parts. Not so the diesel.

But then again, if your not pushing the diesel really hard the reliability will be better, then again it's hard to kill a 460.

polarbear

Boring, Oregon
But then again, if your not pushing the diesel really hard the reliability will be better, then again it's hard to kill a 460.

Seen a 460 hit 3-4-500,000 miles? I shur have. I'm not saying the diesel isn't a great motor (it is)- I'm just comparing cost on both. My overall take is both motors are pretty darned durable and reliable- but the 460 will be cheaper to fix if anything goes south. Factor in the difference in fuel mileage, and I think it's about a wash between the two.

Seen a 460 hit 3-4-500,000 miles? I shur have. I'm not saying the diesel isn't a great motor (it is)- I'm just comparing cost on both. My overall take is both motors are pretty darned durable and reliable- but the 460 will be cheaper to fix if anything goes south. Factor in the difference in fuel mileage, and I think it's about a wash between the two.

I agree, yet there is that 1,395,000+ mile 7.3 E-250.

polarbear

Boring, Oregon
I agree, yet there is that 1,395,000+ mile 7.3 E-250.

Yep. 'Course there's that guy in Kansas with the Silverado pickup with... what... million two? 350 gasser in a 1/2T. Guess all that really means is if you take care of them, don't abuse them, and service regularily it's amazing how many miles you can get out of something.

on my 89 F350 with the 460 it has all of the HP you want and it gets 8 mpg loaded or empty!
my 89 F250 with the 7.3 IDI gets near 20 mpg but is not speedy

Fellro

Staff member
Oil changes are the regular spendy part, parts really aren't that bad on the IDI's, I can have a set of injectors for around $100, injector pumps for $300, water pump was $50 I think. Pretty comparable to what you can spend on the 460's. Powerstrokes on the other hand get pricey fast. Just one injector can be easily $100...

I thank all for the input. I am going with a 90 7.3 and 5-speed from an F Super Duty. Got truck and all for $800. Need to swap out the $100 tank selector valve :( and drive it around for a while befor I dive in on the swap. Have been told I can just use a T fitting and route the retun line to one of the tanks to eliminate the valve, would be alot cheaper to do, may go that route just to drive it for awhile. Thanks again for the input I will post up details when things get going on it. smiliegitrdone

Ford Truck Articles