Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Cataclean?

2011 Crown Vic here with 305k miles, and today my engine light comes on. Scan at the local Advanced comes up with 4 codes on the cat converter. Guy says I need to get something called Cataclean and run it through the gas tank to correct the problem.

Is it worth doing this...will it make the engine run better or get better gas mileage?

Should I use Cataclean or some other product to get this done?

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
sounds like a snake oil product to me...what were the actual codes??

Sorry it took so long to get back. The check engine light went off but it came back on yesterday so I got the codes read again. Guy's machine read 4 codes but said they were all the same code...P0430.

I'm game for the lacquer thinner option I've been hearing about. I see low voc lacquer thinner for sale. Wonder if it matters which version you use?

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
430 can be caused by a few things... Bad 02 sensor for one (with 305K miles on it thats most likely your issue).... yeah the Catalytic converter could be going bad but unless its rusting through or your hearing it rattle coming from it id look else where... another possibility can be that its got an exhaust leak infront of the cat causing loss in pressure... which depending on the size of the leak you would probably notice the exhaust being louder... but considering you have 305K miles on an 2011 the heat cycles most likely kept the rust at bay or you have already replaced the exhaust by now.. blown exhaust manifold gasket can also trigger this code...

and since this is a lean reading code it could also be that side of the engines actually running leaner than it should... which can be caused by the computer misreading a faulty sensor, or dieing fuel injector, clogged injector... ect ect.... with 305K miles thats alot of cycles on the injectors...

are you having any running problems?? like it feeling as if its lacking in power??

if you want to check the downstream 02 sensor use a multimeter on it...With the car running and at normal operating temperature, use the multimeter to check the voltage reading of the downstream O2 sensor. The downstream O2 sensor produces a relatively steady voltage reading of approximately 0.45V if the catalytic converter is functioning properly. If the voltage of the downstream O2 sensor is constantly jumping between 0.1V and 0.9V, the catalyst is worn and the catalytic converter needs to be replaced. and being that this code is for bank 2 you will be looking at the one on the driver side.. if this was a GM it would be on the passenger side.. but ford puts cyl 2 on the driver side so that is bank 2...

Thanks sparky that's this is exactly the kind of advice I need. Frustrating, this is the first code I've come across where there can be so many reasons causing it. But yeah with 305k the problem could be anywhere.

The engine seems to be running fairly well though. The car stays in place when in gear and pointing up a steep hill with your foot off the brake. I've always heard this was a sign the cyl compression was still good, so I've been thinking the engine still has decent life left in it.

It does take about a quart of oil every 1000 miles or so. There are no spots in the driveway, but I don't notice any smoke from the exhaust either. So I don't know where that oil is going...always though it was leaking out only when it was being driven.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
qt every 1000 miles isnt good... its got to be leaking out somewhere or being burned... theres sometimes an inspection cover you can pull on the front of the transmission to see if its leaking into the bell housing there... that would be a sign of the rear main seal leaking...

Ford Truck Articles