Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Gasket sealer

Ok, have a question here: I know that a dab of sealer is used where the intake corners meet the block, but I also used to smear some around the water jackets on both sides of the intake gasket before putting the intake on. Was that additional sealer unnecessary?

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
With the modern gaskets, yes. But I still do it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Thanks, I was curious about if what I did wasn't really needed. I usually smeared a little on both sides of the water jacket opening of the intake gasket.

The Fel-Pro installation tips sheet that came in my gasket set said "never apply RTV completely across gaskets or seals" It also said, to torque the long head bolts to 80 ft lbs, and the shorter bolts to 70 ft lbs

Blue-Truck-Nut97

crank polisher
I've had so much trouble with intake gaskets leaking I usually glue them to the heads with 3M emblem and trim adhesive, then paint the intake side with Permatex Aviation gasket sealant, in addition to the silicone in the corners. Especially if I'm dealing with an aluminum intake against cast iron heads.

The torque spec is interesting, most likely the longer bolts require more of the stretch to be taken out to maintain clamping force. I'm not an engineer, but that makes sense to me.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
The RTV around the water pass throughs certainly doesn't hurt anything. Personally I didn't even use the end seals for the intake last time I did one, just a good bead of gray RTV.

If it doesn't leak when you're done you did it the right way. Don't worry about it.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
I never use the end seals. Always use perimeter, or the good stuff. (That's actually the name)
The rubber seals always leak eventually.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts