Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1997 F250 7.5L 460 to 7.3 Diesel

Ok guys new here got a question. Looking to purchase a truck to pull a rv trailer with I know the 460 is not known for it stellar fuel mileage. My question is with the price of Diesel being what it is. Would you really be saving money buying fuel by driving a 7.4 diesel pulling an rv vs. the 460? Or would I spend about the same? This will not be a truck I used to drive to work daily pretty much just to haul stuff from like Home Depot and pull an RV. Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Fellro

Staff member
If you aren't going to tow heavy and often, I feel you will find it won't pencil out for your needs. I love my diesels, but they get worked hard when they get run. For just little hauls and the occasional pull, I don't think you can justify the cost and work. If you just want to do it, then that is a different deal. Then only you can decide if it is worth it. You have to sit down and do the math on the fuel cost to see how it compares. If you are going cross country with the RV, say, 1000 miles, we'll give the 460 8 mpg vs 18 with the diesel. (these are just guesses, there is always variations) . So, 1000 miles/8mpg gives 125 gallon. Rough number of $3.50/gallon, cost would be $437.50 The diesel would be 55.56 gallon, with price of say $4.00. Total would be $222 in fuel. The flip side though is maintenance. Oil changes at $30 for gas vs $60+ for diesel, water pumps at $40 vs $120, injectors at $40 each vs $100, it can add up. It comes down to what you want and can justify to yourself.

Ford Truck Articles