Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

18" E rated tires

It's about time for new tires - I have the OEM "junk" 285/70-18 Continentals which have some strange, non balance related vibration at 55-65mph. Of course, I can replace in kind (not a chance!!), pay a lot for Michelins, consider Goodyears that get so heat hardened within a year they never wear out nor have any wet/snow traction. Or consider something else. What that something else would be is up in the air right now - I'm stumped.

I seldom go too far from a highway, do a lot of local driving as well as my interstate travel with a large camper hooked up to the back. I've seen some good reviews for Toyo's but really would like some more input about other brands before I make a choice. I've used Yokohama's and Kumho's (no "E"s available for this truck) as well as Goodyears. BFGoodrich's also don't have a size - plus they seem to be prone to side wall cracking.

I do want to keep to close to the OEM size, though up one size is ok - the truck has not had nor will it have any suspension mods other then the new HD Bilsteins.

With that said - HELP:headbang:

blacksnapon

Staff member
It's about time for new tires - I have the OEM "junk" 285/70-18 Continentals which have some strange, non balance related vibration at 55-65mph. Of course, I can replace in kind (not a chance!!), pay a lot for Michelins, consider Goodyears that get so heat hardened within a year they never wear out nor have any wet/snow traction. Or consider something else. What that something else would be is up in the air right now - I'm stumped.

I seldom go too far from a highway, do a lot of local driving as well as my interstate travel with a large camper hooked up to the back. I've seen some good reviews for Toyo's but really would like some more input about other brands before I make a choice. I've used Yokohama's and Kumho's (no "E"s available for this truck) as well as Goodyears. BFGoodrich's also don't have a size - plus they seem to be prone to side wall cracking.

I do want to keep to close to the OEM size, though up one size is ok - the truck has not had nor will it have any suspension mods other then the new HD Bilsteins.

With that said - HELP:headbang:
Click on the tire rack ad at the top of the page, they are a paid advertiser of this site (might get a break on prices) They will have a catalog of sorts for you to look at.

Click on the tire rack ad at the top of the page, they are a paid advertiser of this site (might get a break on prices) They will have a catalog of sorts for you to look at.

Tire Rack is always my first stop as they generally have what I want at the price I want to pay. They have Continentals, Goodyears, Michelin and Firestones - three of which I will not use and Michelins are, IMO, not worth the premium price plus are not rated as well by users as I'd like.

I posted to ask for opinions on alternate tires and sources for purchase - like Toyos and Nittos for example.

I don't know anything about the sizes and all that. I have yokohamas on my explorer now. They are almost worthless in bad weather. If it were not for the control trac and trac lock even wet roads would be a problem.

Put them on snow and ice and you can forget it. I would never recommend them to anyone.

They are wearing nicely and do fine on dry pavement.....

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I don't know anything about E rated tires, but I really like my Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo tires. Looks like they don't make them that big, and they're a brother to Firestone anyway.

Ryan

The advantages to the Michelin Highway tread are Re-groove-ability and sidewall strength. If you put a lot of miles on your truck hauling that camper, you might think again, at least for the steers. Toyo has some of the best open-tread patterns I've found, and what I like about that is that MUD doesn't pack so easy, so those are on the rear of my Dually.
The F150 4x4 has Wrangler R/Ts. It deals with a lot of soft, muddy, soddy, snowy and Icy conditions and they are relatively quiet.
The Suby has Hankooks. Best tires I've had on that car the ten years I've had it... but those are only 16's. Motorhome has pilot steers, and again Toyo rears... Don't know what the "boy's" dodge has on it... cuz its a dodge.
I've had good tires and bad tires in every brand, but still to this day cannot stand firestone. Not that the others never put out bad ones, just not as consistently as they do.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
I'm running BFG A/T's in LT285/65R18E and love them. I've raced with them on the strip, driven through an ice/snow storm, went mudding and pulled a 15,240lb trailer several times. They're on my 2006 F250 6.0L. I will be buying them again when it's time for replacements.

BabiesNewShoes.jpg

It looks like I may have a couple of more choices with the Toyo's and Nittos after looking at some more reviews. The Michelins have never been a great tire for me on any vehicle, from an '80's turboed Sube to an older 16" F350 - not bad, but not great either.

I did take a look at that 19.5 commercial tire/new wheel site. Probably if I used my truck commercially would be a great alternative. I really don't want to change wheels as well.

There is a bit of time - but spring is around the corner and the research now makes the decision in 6-8 weeks easier - that is as long as the Contis don't shake my fillings out.

Thanks

They're that bad?

Yep!!

My wife's 03 Escape had a vibration that the dealer could never fix after many rebalances, rotations and alignments - until I replaced the tires with another brand - I used Yokohama's and they have been great on that car. Now my truck has the same kind of vibe problem that I believe only tires will cure

How about Hankook?

Looks like Hankook might have one - their web site isn't the best. Also looks like Cooper has one as well that might work - and it's even American made. East Coast Tires lists them(tho I've never heard of that outfit, but.....)

I can't believe Ford does it to me again. My long gone '79 Mustang that had TRX tires, my wifes current '03 Escape and my old '94 T-Bird then to go back more, even my '68 Torino had Firestone Wide Oval orphans on it. But these are the worst as I need the load range and 18" wheels........:headbang:

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
I ran the continentals on my F350 when I has it towing my 9000lbs tt. Never had an issue. Asside from that I have run BFG's which I really liked on an old F150 and I also ran Toyo's on that same truck.

I think the E rating is what is gonna get you. Do you have to have the E rating?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts