Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

How much cheaper can they possibly get....

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
I've always get a kick out of watching how the cost of technology tanks faster and faster every month, and one of the benchmarks has been flat screen TVs if any brand. So today while taking out the trash, I looked on the back cover of a ShopKo ad booklet and saw 32inchers for......eee gad.....$118. Then they give you a 10 buck coupon for every 50 bucks you spend, so with no thinking at all a guy can get one for about $100. WTH, almost free, and perfect for the dog house, the wall in front of the toilet, or the tool shed. Hard to believe there's any money to be made at these prices.

*Ancient benchmark.....newspaper in my closet, 1969 Apollo mission to the moon, advertisement for a 10" COLOR TV.....price in 1969 dollars.....$249.95. Do the math to roll that into today dollars.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Still have my 20" crt tv I bought just before college because I have difficulty tossing it considering I spent $150 on it 13 years ago. I just bought 3 32" samsungs for locations we'll probably never even turn on, but want just in case. Individual cost for each of them was cheaper than CRT was.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
For some reason those 13" tv's were what I always watched prices on (probably because I was a kid and it was all I could afford.)

I remember when the 13" was $89.99 and I was PUMPED!

Ryan

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
For some reason those 13" tv's were what I always watched prices on (probably because I was a kid and it was all I could afford.)

Ryan

You have no idea how much of an ego boost it was to 'spring' for the 20". It's not like we're talking 50 years ago here, we're talking 12-13. First year or so, that's what my hall watched stuff on. I guess about that time flat screens started to come on the scene and eventually, the $500 26" screens started popping up for the rich kids.

I specifically remember one year when we went to the Outback Bowl, one of the things in our swag bag was a $1,000 Best Buy gift card. Most of the guys on the team opted for a sub-30" flat screen, and I thought the craze would never last, I mean they were so tiny and fragile. Instead, I invested my money wisely into DVD's and one of those tiny camcorders.

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA

Ryan

Pretty amazing how both technology, improved manufacturing and china labor have brought the cost of electronics down to the dirt cheap level. Those 10" color TV's I mentioned in the OP, for $250 + tax in 1969 dollars, not too many people had them, probably something to do with 25" color sets going for 2 - 2 1/2X that. Another great product to keep an eye on is 'puters. Radio Shack, in the late 70's, the first sensible home PC worth owning that sold like hotcakes despite being stoopid expensive, and today look where it all lead, they're just another cheapo item. Ryan, ever thought about how many processors you've tossed in the trash can? I have, just another crazy cheap device. lol! :rofl:

Last edited:

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Seriously, we bought the same TV. I put together a couple Christmas cash gifts to buy my 20" TV in my senior year of high school, and drug that unit to college too. It was a philips 20", and it was a "flat screen" CRT, meaning the glass didn't have a curve to it. I paid $150 too.

Ryan

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
In '94 I bought a Magnavox 35" color for $1000 at a Best Buy Grand Opening. At the time, that was an unheard of price (Most were double that). Still watch it. (But two flat screens in the house).

That being said, just took 5 TV's to Goodwill because you can't even take them to the dump anymore. Goodwill is paid by the state to do electronic recycling.

I remember buying a 32 inch flat screen samsung crt and a dvd/vcr combo for just under $3000 on special back in 2000 ....... had to get rid of it a couple of years ago when we switched away from terrestrial tv transmission. Replaced it with a 40 inch samsung led for under a grand

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
In '94 I bought a Magnavox 35" color for $1000 at a Best Buy Grand Opening. At the time, that was an unheard of price (Most were double that). Still watch it. (But two flat screens in the house).

That being said, just took 5 TV's to Goodwill because you can't even take them to the dump anymore. Goodwill is paid by the state to do electronic recycling.

That was a monster TV back then. That's about as big as they got before you had to buy a floor unit "big screen"

Ryan

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Those large CRT sets, man oh man, so heavy you nearly need a forklift to move them. :rofl:

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Son in Law is 6'6" and a Fed LEO. He came over and helped. :)

Lost me or I didn't realize the daughters actual age. Back in 94 when you got it? :-/

*Buddy of mine had a CRT 32incher.......we put that in the back of his truck way back and dumped it at a Goodwill.....and worked perfect. With metal prices so high at the time, the ore in the components old TV's and electronics more lucrative than digging holes in the ground. :D

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Lost me or I didn't realize the daughters actual age. Back in 94 when you got it? :-/

*Buddy of mine had a CRT 32incher.......we put that in the back of his truck way back and dumped it at a Goodwill.....and worked perfect. With metal prices so high at the time, the ore in the components old TV's and electronics more lucrative than digging holes in the ground. :D

The TV's two years younger than Jenny. She turns 25 this year. Last time you saw her she was in HS.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
The TV's two years younger than Jenny. She turns 25 this year. Last time you saw her she was in HS.

Holy hell...I remember the excitement of heading to Oregon St. like it was yesterday.

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA

Ha, that must have been up at IR's place. Wasn't it the time when the jar with a handle was duct taped to his hand, BL was getting tazed, and I got jokingly got accused via photo evidence of making out with the former ones GF on the back porch as evidenced by a pic where we were sticking our tongues out at the camera? :rofl:

Ford Truck Articles