Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

No reverse lights?

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
So you need to identify the colour coding of the wires that are there and post that info.

There's a brown wire with a pink stripe,and a solid black wire.They both come out of the harness.Looks like they come from the main connector.

The third one is a green wire with a white stripe,and it comes from the reverse socket.

The fourth wire is solid black,and it goes to the ground strap.

well brown is running/tail-lights/License plate lights

Black is ground
Black wire is also ground from the license plate light

Now, wires over the years discolor , so you have to think about that when determining the actual colour

The back up light should be a red/black wire

Could it be that that harness came from another vehicle or does it look original?

Ford usually kept the color coding standard between all Ford models

I have a green/orange for back there but not Green/white

Last edited:

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
All the wiring looks original.I know my license plate light is from an 87-91,but I did that myself,and I spliced it in to the original wires in the harness.Are these trucks supposed to have two license plate lights from factory?Cause my truck only has one.When I replaced one of the license plate lights,I could only find the wiring for one of the lights.My rear bumper is cutout for two license plate lights.Maybe these extra wires are for the second license plate light?

From what I can tell,the green wire has a white stripe,and not orange.I'll take a closer look and try to see if it's extremely faded.

if you got one reverse lamp working, maybe you can just run a jumper between them and then cap the dead one off, they should function together anyway. Mine are out too thats tomorrows project if the weather holds out, i think mine is just a dirty connector at the trans

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
My rear taillight harness is pretty hacked up by the previous owner,so i'm gonna try and find a decent replacement out at the local junkyard.Good luck on getting yours fixed.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts