Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

general escape questions

Step daughter is looking at a 2001 escape,V6 3.0l, auto with 107k asking $5500.00. Is there anything that I need to look for or stay away from that is a common problem with these? Are they Mazda powered? I've personally never owned, driven, or known anyone that has had one.

I'm going to post a link (if I can find it) Let me know what you think and whatever helpful info you may have. Thanks, Kyle.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Great little rigs- and no, they aren't Mazda powered. The Mazda Tributes are Ford-powered, though (you know Ford owns Mazda, right?).

RangerPilot

Boom Shaka Laka
Dallas, TX
The 3.0L Duratec has some decent push around town, but nothing at all on the highway and gets so-so mileage. My girlfriend has about 145K on hers and it's still running just fine, no mechanical issues to deal with and she drives it pretty rough (oil change is the only maintenance it'll be seeing when I'm not around). The engine itself is a total pain to work on, with nothing conveniently placed and several jobs that seem easy on other vehicles taking quite a bit of time on it.

The interior is one of the worst jobs I've seen from a Ford company, so check it thoroughly from front to back...carpet not fitting correctly and the door trim falling out being the major things.

Seats are not too comfortable, especially on longer drives. Shifter can be sort of awkward. Steering forces are heavy since it's a FWD. I don't know anything about the 4WD/AWD system, someone else will have to give you inputs on that.

Thanks for the info guys.
As some of you know how women can and will change their minds, she did.
Ended up finding a 99 Mercury Cougar with 75k for 2400.00.

Not too bad of a deal, those little Cougars are neat cars. :)

Ford Truck Articles