Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

I am “Sending out an S.O.S” re: Rad support.

Trying to re-install front sheet metal (51 f1) that PO removed as a unit and I needed to know the measurement distance between the eight and six cylinder rad support holes in the inner fender. I have / had to install the rad support first when installing the engine etc so now have to juggle it into place, and its hard to see. To further complicate things it turns out that this front end was never installed on this truck and yes I could lie on the cold concrete and measure the bottom rad supports holes but; (a) management would like a post from me, (b) the cook had me install a dish washer yesterday (sore) :( (c) and the weather is cold and damp so the arthritis is acting up today. Thanks. :)

Does it help to know that the 6 cylinder core support holes are exactly three inches forward of the V8 holes in the front cross member? My inner fender panels are buried out in the barn, and cold too. That measurement is center to center of the holes. I checked it on my project truck frame, and on a spare cross member that I had under the bench. Stu

Last edited:
I was going to add that if the frame holes aren't handy, the side aprons should have the same distance.

I got the same message from management to post more, so hopefully this will help, two-fold. :)

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Sorry about the reminders - that's part of the vbulletin program rather than management trying to babysit. fwiw it's harmless, just annoying.

It IS always good to hear from you gentlemen!

I'm never sure what is worse: putting lower rad hoses on after installing the front end as a unit or bolting up the rad support to the inner fenders. Good luck with it Ray.

Thanks all,

Yes mtflat, you are big time right about lower rad hose or fenders!

As you can see the 460 fills the hole and with the rad spaced forward and the A/C condenser things get a little tight quickly. I’m getting one bolt done per half day so some progress is happening. :headbang:

pict0001lne.jpg

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts