Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

96 f250 looses drive

wizzard351

ride'n on 35's
wi
my kids 96 f250 with a 460 looses drive and then comes back, it doesn't go into drive until ya rev it up some. its done the delayed drive thing way back when I bought the truck at 84,000 miles but never lost drive till he got it at 140,000. we've had it into ford and to a trans shop and nobody seems to have any clue whats goin on. anybody got any ideas??? trans don't slip or anything like that just drive disapers. he's replaced the computer already and that didn't help

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Check codes yet?

Has it ever leaked out the front seal?
Is the od light flashing?

wizzard351

ride'n on 35's
wi
nope no code no leaks no flashin od light. when it works it works like it should. just when it acts dumb drive go's away, turns into neutral like.

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
*Fluid level when operating propely?

*Fluid level when it's acting up?

*Correct hydraulic pressure and correct (or not) when it's acting up too?

*Wild card that may/may not apply but, band adjustment?

wizzard351

ride'n on 35's
wi
fluid levels are good don't know about pressure's tho im assuming the trans shop took that reading. personaly I think its a shift soliniod but ive ben told they either work or don't work not intermittent like.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
BEFORE you pull the pan Take the heat shield off the side behind the cat converter, and check the wire connection.
It has a heat problem from 95-97, and the connector cracks.

If the connections check out, then pull the pan

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Was just getting ready to ask, I'm trying to find where I bought the harness repair from, but coming up empty. I'll keep looking, maybe in the garage file cabinet, that repair has been a while ago

Ford Truck Articles