Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Swapping rear ends

Oscar Madison

California Chapter member
I own a 1969 F-250 camper special with an 8 bolt pattern. I found a 1967 F-100 custom with a 5 bolt pattern. Can I swap rear ends without running into any difficulties.

Fellro

Staff member
The rear will bolt, can't say the drive shaft u-joint will... Measure the u-joint cap diameters and the width of the cross and compare. You will want to change the front out as well, to avoid having 8 bolt wheels on front and 5 on rear...

Oscar Madison

Thnx Fellro. I intend 2 change the front as well, but 4 now I'm gonna buy me sum adapters. I'm hoping 2 one day install Crager Rims and they only make them wit 5 lugs.

Fellro

Staff member
I don't remember if the CS used the narrower frame like the 4x4 or not. Might be wise to check the spring pad location. They may be set different, haven't been around the CS trucks myself.

Oscar Madison

Rear end project

I went ahead and bought the rear end of a 67 F-100 custom. It has a 5 bolt pattern and my custom rims have an 8 bolt pattern. Do U know if they make adapters for this application ?.

Fellro

Staff member
I do not know of any to drop from 8 to 5, typically they are more for a 5 to 5 of a different spread. You might have more luck with finding a replacement drum for the front, but I am not sure if the spindle itself is the same, or if the drum is the same width or diameter.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts