Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1969 unibody?

Has anyone joined the tub to the cab on a 69 ?. Don"t know if i will do it or not.Like joining it to the cab, how strong will it be? as i need to put the body upside down to prep and paint.Just an idea i have,i have many ideas but luckily most of them remain as ideas lol.

Possum

Georgia Chapter member
I never have liked the idea of Unibody trucks, not enough
give between the bed and cab if you gonna haul a load.

If you wanna uni, get u a bronco or IH scout, don't mess up
a good truck

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
You'll get more rigidity if that's what your looking for, but I'm mostly in agreement with Possum. They would have joined them at the factory if that was the best set up.

Ryan

Not looking at carrying any loads not a work ute more a weekend cruiser. Check out my gallery if you wish and yuo will see what i am talking about but thank you for your advice.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Ford cancelled the Uni in mid-year 1963 after receiving 100's of complaints. When the cargo shifted, that caused the entire body to flex because the bed was attached to the cab.

When this occurred, the doors popped open, some peeps actually fell out of the cabs.

Thank you ford parts guru,i think i will fab a new back of the tub,need to fab new floor and wheel tubs. Diff will not be covered so you can see it move as i drive.

Hello mustangtoby,only thought about doing it because all i could save from my tub was the sides,needs new back panel and floor. check my gallery

I'm guessing body parts are pretty hard to come by over there huh?

Yep 67 to 72 f100s are very rare here, 73 onwards have large numbers of parts. Most parts i want need to import from US , mainly air freight, which is a hassle bit when finished will be rare as.As a result your skill level improves as you need to learn to repair everything. if you look in my gallery or album you can see what i have done so far.

Just a thought, but if you can get your hands on a dentside bed, you can probably use most of it and put your bump side panels on it to make a bed. Very few would be able to tell the difference...

Ford cancelled the Uni in mid-year 1963 after receiving 100's of complaints.
When the cargo shifted, that caused the entire body to flex because the bed
was attached to the cab.
When this occurred, the doors popped open, some peeps actually fell out of
the cabs.
LOL :)
I bet that hurt like hell too. ;)

I've always figured the bed had to be mounted on rubber-body-mounts.
Are they? :)

Alvin in AZ

Ford Truck Articles