Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

73-79's ..Working Trucks Today

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Last weekend I hauled 60 bags of soil and manure (each bag weighs around 60lb) as well as 6 50lb bags of post hole cement. Burt liked it.

Sorry I've been off line for a couple months guys. My mother, who I have been taking care of for 23 years (she was my best friend..) passed away the day after my birthday in March and my life turned upside down .... Just getting back "on track" with my world!

Dak

Glad to see you back. Sorry to hear about your mom :(

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Last weekend I hauled 60 bags of soil and manure (each bag weighs around 60lb) as well as 6 50lb bags of post hole cement. Burt liked it.

Sorry I've been off line for a couple months guys. My mother, who I have been taking care of for 23 years (she was my best friend..) passed away the day after my birthday in March and my life turned upside down .... Just getting back "on track" with my world!

Dak

Sorry to hear about your mom. Glad you're getting back on track.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
The old Fords are starting to outlast the last few generations.:wasntme:

I met up with a guy who had an 05 Ford F150 he bought brand new and was constantly dumping money into it to keep it on the road....he did use it as a work truck, but commented to me that they aren't built today as well as they were back in the days, to last.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

Dak

That's crappy news Dak...sorry to hear it bud. You'll never forget but the pain will eventually diminish.

This was beginning to happen too often, so Burt only gets used to haul occasionally now... I sold the travel trailer also and am going to a motorhome for camping now :-( I had a LOT of good times camping with Burt, but a 4,000lb camper is just too much for him now..

DSCN1251.JPG

Dak

That's not good.

The old Fords are starting to outlast the last few generations.:wasntme:

Was there any question?????

I met up with a guy who had an 05 Ford F150 he bought brand new and was constantly dumping money into it to keep it on the road....he did use it as a work truck, but commented to me that they aren't built today as well as they were back in the days, to last.

I like ragging on the new stuff as much as anybody, but honestly, I don't think it's a matter of one being better than the other, because I do like some of the more modern seats, I like what efi has to offer, etc. Instead, I think it's a matter of waaaaaaaay tighter tolerances, waaaaaaaay more widgets and overall just more stuff to go wrong on new rigs.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
That's crappy news Dak...sorry to hear it bud. You'll never forget but the pain will eventually diminish.

That's not good.

Was there any question?????

I like ragging on the new stuff as much as anybody, but honestly, I don't think it's a matter of one being better than the other, because I do like some of the more modern seats, I like what efi has to offer, etc. Instead, I think it's a matter of waaaaaaaay tighter tolerances, waaaaaaaay more widgets and overall just more stuff to go wrong on new rigs.

When I was shopping for a copier (just a quick analogy fellas, don't crucify me for comparing vehicles to copiers please smilietease ), the copier salesman told me the more simple, the better (for small office use, not one of those massive copiers) because the more gadgets you have, the more components you have, then the more that can go wrong with it in the future.

There is also something to say about being able to work on your own vehicle if you can for as much as you can without having to take it to a professional. When I first got the bump, a friend of mine helped me pull one of the valve covers off, fix a small hole in it (welded a piece of metal), put a new gasket, and put it back on, and drove off, all in under 15 minutes......wouldn't be able to do that even on my 2000 Durango.

I was in Red Deer today and saw this in my travels

I thought I would share

I talked with the owner from 100 ft away and invited him to this site to join up and tell us about it.

All I know is it was painted a modern colour scheme, is a Camper special with a 460 in it

Enjoy

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
I was in Red Deer today and saw this in my travels

I thought I would share

I talked with the owner from 100 ft away and invited him to this site to join up and tell us about it.

All I know is it was painted a modern colour scheme, is a Camper special with a 460 in it

Enjoy

Wow, that thing looks brand new....if that's his house, looks like he's into old rigs....there's one in that driveway...not sure what kind tough.

I was in Red Deer today and saw this in my travels...
I talked with the owner from 100 ft away and invited
him to this site to join up and tell us about it.
Cool, what is that blue one in the drive way? :)
Am I wrong or is that a Ford 2+1/2 ton of some sort?
If so, what model years was that body/grill style?

If he shows up, I'll try not to pick on 'im too much
about being Canajian. ;)

Alvin in AZ

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
That is a roughly late 60s F600.

F600 cool thanks guys. :)

The first company truck I rode in was an SP-orange "line truck" (T61) with
that type grill had a 6 cylinder and 5 speed with two speed rear axle. PTO
ran a large bed-mounted winch to operate the rear mounted A-frame with
3/4" wire rope.

We could pull most poles right up out of the ground with that rig but some
times it'd lift the front of the truck up off the ground and that was ok, we'd
just jounce it with the PTO and it'd yank the pole out in steps. But one time
when the front of the truck swung sideways, it came down on a tie fence
post inside the front right fender well. We friggin' died laughing! :) But now
we had to re-lift the front of the truck and pull it with ropes by hand out
from over the fence post. It was a corner post with H or N connections to
two other posts so there was no just cutting the post off and replacing it.

Anyway seeing that truck reminded me of all that. LOL :) It was within the
first couple weeks me working for the railroad. :) I remember "the old guy"
betting that pole had a swelled bottom on it and sure enough it did.

That was just the beginning of all sorts of cool stuff the "indoor job guys"
never got to do.

Hmmm... seems like it had 10 lug 22" wheels.
Does that sound right?

This is the closest I can find...
FORDLINETRUCK.jpg

...the front looks right there, I guess old "T61" was an F750 huh?

The tool bins were higher on T61 because there was no boom on it, also it
had a crew box behind the cab with a really comfy;)bench seat. Had to sit
a little sideways or your knees bumped into the front wall.

Alvin in AZ

Alvin in AZ said:
This is the closest I can find...
FORDLINETRUCK.jpg

...the front looks right there, I guess old "T61" was an F750 huh?

The truck in that picture is a '73-'79 'dentside' medium duty. The hood scoop would suggest it had either the 391 FT gas or the Cat V8 diesel.....however, because it's only equipped with a 7,000# front axle, that would suggest it's the 391. Also, if it were diesel it would be a F6000 or F7000 as opposed to a 600, 700, or 750 designation. The emblem on the cowl looks to be too short to be a 6000 or 7000.

Last edited:
Roofing Company is correct

The grain truck parked on the lawn was his grandfathers farm truck. The owner I'd say is about 30 y/o.

We could hardly hear each other because of so many cars going by.

He should show up here soon.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

Always wanted to get a set of those doors simply for the push button handles. IIRC, the doors are a direct swap for the 73-79 light duty trucks.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
This is one of my favorite threads! I drove by a 78/79 dent the other day and the back was completely loaded to the max and couldn't take a picture of it as it passed by me going the opposite direction.....just love seeing this old rigs still working hard after so many years!

Ford Truck Articles