Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > Superduties & Other Trucks > Superduty Gen.2

Superduty Gen.2 2008-2010 F250, F350, F450, F550

Old 02-06-2013, 12:22 AM

NeXtras will become famous soon enoughNeXtras will become famous soon enough
08 F550 Regen Problem

Wow, havent been on here in a while!

Anyways, having a problem with my tow truck..

2008 F550 (Flatbed/Ramp Truck) 6.4L PSD 125k miles.

This truck has had a problem with regen for a little over a year now. It LOVES to say "Drive to clean exhaust", generally i'll see that when its a cold start.

Today, had to do a post office tow, 45 miles round trip, mainly highway driving.. smoked horribly when i left the PO and stopped just before the highway, didn't smoke again until I got back to the PO.. unloaded the trucks, shut the truck off to go inside and then started it up and left.. on my way back to the shop it smoked almost the entire way, about 5 miles.. even though it was smoking i didnt see any Regen messages..

This truck JUST came back from the dealer after it went into a reduced power mode, then died and woldnt restart.. dealer replaced 2/4/6/8 injectors, fan clutch and i believe one or two of the EGRT sensors.. they say they did multiple manual regens to the truck... they also said the oil level was too high, not sure if that means fuel getting into oil or something about regen wont work right with a little too much oil (told us to only put 13qts in the motor from now on and change every 3k miles)

I did a manual regen on the truck about a month ago, and it seemed to have helped it for a short time, but now its actually worse..

not quite sure where to go from here with the truck.. it seems that its building full boost, gauge goes to about 22-25 psi when your really on it

ANY suggestions?
--2004 Mazda 6 V6 5spd
--1999 Chevy S10 4.3 V6 Auto
--1994 F150 FlareSide 5.0 Auto
McGarvey Towing
Saugus MA

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2013, 06:53 AM
GingaNinja

5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute
HOLY CRAP...

It's like seeing a ghost!!

This is NFLFreak43 btw changed usernames a while back...

I'm not sure on your issue... But HI!!!

Old 02-06-2013, 07:51 AM

LOL, I figured I'd have a better chance of finding an answer on here that FTE.. still remember you guys! Just havent had my Flareside on the road since sept 09 lol

Anyways, just because, heres a pic of the truck in question

--2004 Mazda 6 V6 5spd
McGarvey Towing
Saugus MA

Old 02-06-2013, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator

Super Moderator

blacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond repute
Something just isn't right. If you're gaining oil, its either an internal fuel leak or excessive regens. You should be close to 38 psi of boost under a load at WOT. So, you're a little short there too. You can look with the IDS at injector fuel trims to see what the pcm is commanding each injector to do. Much, much more diagnostics is needed. If you're telling someone to only put 13 quarts in the engine, there's a lot more to the story that isn't being told.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:42 AM

the RO with the codes is at the shop, I can get the codes and post them here.. I know they replaced some injectors, they also told us NOT to let it idle too much, which is pretty hard if your sitting at an accident, like sat night sitting at a scene for 2 and half hours waiting for a building inspector and possibly needing a rotator.. yay..

They told us there is 7500 hours on the engine, which I guess is equivalent to 250k miles? (or 125k + the 125 on the truck?)

But @blacksnapon , i was hoping you'd reply to this! I know you have quite a bit of expierience with the Fords! So thank you lol.

I was guessing turbo PSI by the gauge, which isnt really accurate.. it was right about half, and sometimes more.. could a bad, or going turbo, cause this issue too?
--2004 Mazda 6 V6 5spd
McGarvey Towing
Saugus MA

Old 02-06-2013, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator

Super Moderator

blacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond repute
Down low, front of the truck, driver side, the cac hose goes into the intercooler. Pull the hose loose there. There shouldn't be anything in there but air (a very small bit of oil is acceptable). If theres a lot of oil in there, your turbo is going bad. Excessive oil there will result in regens and smoking. Possibly even plugging up your DPF.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksnapon View Post
Down low, front of the truck, driver side, the cac hose goes into the intercooler. Pull the hose loose there. There shouldn't be anything in there but air (a very small bit of oil is acceptable). If theres a lot of oil in there, your turbo is going bad. Excessive oil there will result in regens and smoking. Possibly even plugging up your DPF.
Thats what I planned on checking when I get to work lol, air filter box can do the same thing cant it? if its going bad?.. this truck has just been a nightmare lately..

another question.. could it be possible it will regen for a bit cause it was getting pretty crappy before it died?...

when the truck is warmed up and been running for a while, it doesn't smoke
--2004 Mazda 6 V6 5spd
McGarvey Towing
Saugus MA

Old 02-06-2013, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeXtras View Post
Thats what I planned on checking when I get to work lol, air filter box can do the same thing cant it? if its going bad?.. this truck has just been a nightmare lately..

another question.. could it be possible it will regen for a bit cause it was getting pretty crappy before it died?...

when the truck is warmed up and been running for a while, it doesn't smoke
The cac is after the filter box, pulling the hose is checking for an oil leak inside of the turbo. They can loose 20% of the power under regen. When they warm up, everything expands, and that can close off a leak. Idling on a diesel develops minimal heat, thats why excessive idling really causes problems on a 6.0 and a 6.4. My suggestion, use a throttle control when sitting to raise engine speed.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:19 AM

these actually idle up on there own after sitting for a bit (i believe mainly when its cold out).. we could turn the PTO on to idle up, but that will keep the pump on too.. hmm, well i'll have something to do when i get to the shop now!

And if you were wondering, no, i'm no longer working for the dealer lol.. that actually just ended 2 weeks ago
--2004 Mazda 6 V6 5spd
McGarvey Towing
Saugus MA

Old 02-06-2013, 01:27 PM

Codes p0480 p0578 p200e p252f.... they found num 2 inj stuck wide open..6 and 8 spiked while monitoring...replaced 2/4/6/8 inj's, replaced all 3 egrt sensors (found out of range due to raw fuel being dumped in)

Thats what the RO says
--2004 Mazda 6 V6 5spd
McGarvey Towing
Saugus MA