Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Global Ranger

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
I wouldn't mind importing one...

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/10/14/all-new-ford-ranger-debuts-for-the-rest-of-the-globe/

01-ranger-630.jpg

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
I HATE it.

That is the most awful looking piece of foreign steel I have ever seen. It looks similar to a Sport Trac, except that Ford used the Edge platform.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
I HATE it.

That is the most awful looking piece of foreign steel I have ever seen. It looks similar to a Sport Trac, except that Ford used the Edge platform.

Well, gawsh.

6a00d83451b3c669e20133f50fc244970b-800wi
pickuptrucks.com said:
The Ranger comes with two new engines and a choice of six-speed automatic or manual transmissions that improve performance, fuel economy and driving range.

Ford’s Duratorq TDCi diesel engines include a 2.2-liter inline-four-cylinder with up to 276 pounds-feet of torque and a 3.2-liter inline-five-cylinder with a robust 346 pounds-feet of torque.

Ford says its new economical 2.5-liter Duratec four-cylinder gas engine has more power than its major competitors and is flex-fuel capable.

Gasoline-powered Rangers get a standard five-speed manual transmission.

The Ranger will achieve a significantly increased payload capacity of up to 3,306 pounds on selected models. While Ford has not announced the truck’s top towing capacity, it says towing will be “exceptional.”

Ford also reports that the Ranger will come with more engine/transmission combinations as well as a variety of final drive ratios, from a stout 3.31 ring and pinion to an amazingly short 5.30 rear axle.

Ford Ranger Leaves the U.S.

pickuptrucks.com said:
The Ford Ranger first went on sale in the U.S. in February 1982. More than 6.5 million Rangers have been sold in the U.S., with its best sales year in 1999, with 348,358 pickups sold.

"In the past few years, we have averaged around 75,000 Rangers sales annually, with year-to-date sales of 43,000 through the end of September," said Derek Kuzak, Ford group vice president of product development, when we asked about why the new Ranger isn’t coming to the U.S.

"The compact pickup market in the U.S. has been declining for more than 15 years, having gone from almost 8 percent of the industry in 1994 to just more than 2 percent through August this year," Kuzak said. "So we have decided to prioritize our investment in full-size pickups and continue to develop the F-150 in all areas, including outstanding fuel economy. We are just now launching an all-new engine lineup for the F-150 that improves the fuel efficiency of the F-150 lineup by 20 percent. And we are offering the F-150 XLT Custom Package with the all-new 3.7-liter V-6 engine aimed at the entry-level personal-use buyer.

"This new F-150 series will be ideal for those Ranger owners interested in a pickup. For those Ranger customers interested more in affordable transportation than specifically a truck, we now either have, or soon will offer, many new affordable vehicles, including the Fiesta, Focus, seven-passenger Grand C-MAX and the Transit Connect.

"One additional important element of our decision was that this Ranger is bigger than our current product, which we'll build through the 2011 model year, and moves much closer in size to the current F-150," Kuzak added. "So its use here would become even more limited, especially when compared to the increasingly fuel-efficient F-150."

Last edited:

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Don't care for the Mazda, but the interior is nicely refined.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
The mazda front end looks like a smiling character off that claymation choo-choo show for kids.

I like that ranger though. It's not too bad really - the only deal is that it's so close to the f-150 I don't see the point. Is the F150 available in Australia? If not, it makes sense.

Ryan

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
I'm sorry, but Ford sucks.

Usually, when you bring out new engines, you bring out a new platform too. The F150 platform has been the same for 6 years, it's about time for a re-design.

And XLT Custom? That doesn't say cheap to me at all. You either get a Custom, or an XLT, not both.

It's a great day, to buy a Chevrolet. Truck.

I'm just spewing chit off my fingers, but looks are still very important to me in my vehicle purchases, and well, the only thing Ford has that still looks good is the F250+ and the Mustang.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Don't like the skin, but the drivetrain would be nice. And I agree with you Shaun, I believe Ford's styling has been lackluster the last couple of years, and the changes they did make to the 250+, I find absolutely atrocious. But...I'm not the demographic they're aiming for...so they weren't worried about making money off me anyway. Me and Bailee have been vehicle shopping again over the last couple of weeks, and the fact that a 5'2" 115lb girly girl says 'oooh that's a pretty truck and it's so comfortable' should tell you a little something about where they're aiming. As I've said before, if the blue oval weren't bred into me, I'd have no issues jumping to a bow tie right now, they're the secksiest trucks available.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
^^ That's that way it is, unfortunately...

I'd enjoy a chebby if it had the ford interior. I feel that gm's interiors are too... bland.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Its the older model, but I still thought you guys might like to see it. This is an Iraqi Police truck at our station:

I wanted to pack one up in my luggage and bring it home!

S1051714.jpg

S1051715.jpg

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I couldn't drive it. Looks too much like a scaled down Toyota Tundra.

2007_Toyota_Tundra-CrewMax_1.jpg

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
As I've said before, if the blue oval weren't bred into me, I'd have no issues jumping to a bow tie right now, they're the secksiest trucks available.

At this point, if someone had a gun to my head and forced me to pick a new Chevy or a new Ford, i'm gonna willingly go for the Chevy. At least Chevy doesn't waste any time or money re-designing two different trucks.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
omg.... yall arent gonna get to talking bout this subject again... jesus!!!!

TIMES CHANGE!!

As has the targeted demographic...but it doesn't seem to have hurt the vehicle companies any...oh wait, didn't we just have a huge financial crisis with the big three? I think the entire vehicle industry needs a reform. Sure personal responsibility comes in to play, but when you have trucks that cost as much as some homes, there's an issue. And when you have 'trucks' that soccer moms are comfortable driving and the same truck is supposed to appease farm/construction use, I think that's an issue.

Last edited:

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
so... thats not the point...

Ford like the other companies are in it to make money...

You may like chevy's designs, so does alot of others that are stuck in the 90's. and thats not a large amount of americans. Chevy hasnt been making very much money lately.

Ford has been modernizing their designs to keep up with the majority of Americans... thats keeping them making money... even in this poor economy...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Actually...I think that is the issue. As I said, didn't the bottom fall out not too long ago on all American vehicles? I don't see how that is making money. And then inflated numbers due to C4C, can't be used as reliable data. If making money was the objective, a little less than 2 years ago shoulda proved they sucked at it. They didn't have to accept governmental support by the skin of their teeth. So as I said, a reform is in order...which to some extent is happening with parent companies shedding dead weight. I just think continually watering down the vehicles is a terrible idea so the soccer mom and site foreman are happy is a bad approach. Might not have burned them yet, but there has to be a breaking point.

Last edited:
As has the targeted demographic...but it doesn't seem to have hurt the vehicle companies any...oh wait, didn't we just have a huge financial crisis with the big three? I think the entire vehicle industry needs a reform. Sure personal responsibility comes in to play, but when you have trucks that cost as much as some homes, there's an issue. And when you have 'trucks' that soccer moms are comfortable driving and the same truck is supposed to appease farm/construction use, I think that's an issue.

Let me re-post the stats that have Ford doing what they're doing...

The Ford Ranger first went on sale in the U.S. in February 1982. More than 6.5 million Rangers have been sold in the U.S., with its best sales year in 1999, with 348,358 pickups sold.

"In the past few years, we have averaged around 75,000 Rangers sales annually, with year-to-date sales of 43,000 through the end of September," said Derek Kuzak, Ford group vice president of product development, when we asked about why the new Ranger isn’t coming to the U.S.

"The compact pickup market in the U.S. has been declining for more than 15 years, having gone from almost 8 percent of the industry in 1994 to just more than 2 percent through August this year,"

It's called economics!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Let me re-post the stats that have Ford doing what they're doing...

It's called economics!

I'm not saying engineering changes aren't necessary, I'm saying trying to appeal to such a wide spectrum is dangerous. Sometimes when you try to make everybody happy, you don't make anybody happy. I don't think it's a good idea for the same truck to appeal as a grocery getter as well as a construction truck. The grocery getter doesn't need to be as stout as as the construction truck and the construction truck doesn't need as many bells as whistles...and eventually, finances will rule and the construction company won't be able to afford the luxuries and the soccer mom won't be able to afford the chassis.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts