Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > Superduties & Other Trucks > Superduty Gen.2

Superduty Gen.2 2008-2010 F250, F350, F450, F550

Old 12-27-2009, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator

Super Moderator

blacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackary View Post
How do you know if the fuel from 76 / Chevron / shell is high quality or not? When there is only one diesel pump, you don't have a whole lot of choice do you? Remember, I don't know nuttin' here. I need remedial help.
For the best insurance, use a quality cetane booster every tank.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:43 PM
Sam

sjohn1024 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksnapon View Post
For the best insurance, use a quality cetane booster every tank.
Thats one thing i was going to say. Motorcraft has a cetane booster that is highly recommened to use on all diesels, it is supposed to help with the fuel mileage by at least 1-2mpgs and it bumps the cetane up to where ford recommends it @ if used with every tank and it keeps the egr system cleaner, being that the fuel is of better quality and burns better. Best of luck... The motorcraft part number for the cetane booster is PM-22-A.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:25 AM

Jackary is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanau View Post
I always buy as much warranty as I can get. Then again I'm a landscape contractor. The guys I have working for me could break anything.

Is it 4 wheel drive? Auto or stick?

Shell Rotella is a great oil for diesel engines.

The truck is a F450 4x4 with offroad package and automatic.

I would assume I would use 4 x 2 setting for best mileage until I reach the dirt roads.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:50 AM

Jackary is on a distinguished road
Off a different thread I read up on what cetane means etc and gather the following:

Ford says that 45 is the minimum recommended CETANE level. The minimum specs at the pumps in the States is 38 to 40.

I live in CA where the minimum is 50 so I'm guessing the booster probably would not do much for me here in CA?
Old 12-28-2009, 12:52 AM

Hanau is a jewel in the roughHanau is a jewel in the roughHanau is a jewel in the rough
Yes, 4x4 requires a slippery surface to operate properly. If you use 4x4 on pavement the tires can't slip to relieve stresses in the drivetrain. The stress and strain builds up until something breaks.

Some trucks can lock up so fast that 10 feet on pavement and you can't budge the lever to get it back out of 4x4.

AWD is different. With all wheel drive there are clutches in the drivetrain that allow slippage. That's how Audi works.

Jeep has a fulltime 4x4 system called Quadratrac that works the same way. It also has a vacuum switch to lock the transfer case for more traditional 4x4 mode.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:35 AM
The Token Canadian

Admin

DNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond repute
I guess my MH all wheel drive has clutches...never knew that....just being a smartazz..AWD does not always have clutches...just another word for 4wd...a 203 transfer case has a proportioning differential in it.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:34 AM

Hanau is a jewel in the roughHanau is a jewel in the roughHanau is a jewel in the rough
Cool. Learn something new everyday.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:38 AM
Texas Chapter Leader

Truckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond reputeTruckin4life has a reputation beyond repute
also the truck should not lock down if the front and rear tires are the same and if they are geared the same... While driving on dry pavement is unnecceasry and rough on your 4wd it shouldn't just lock the truck down...

Bacon is GOOD!

1995 F-250 "stock" 351winnie, zf5 and 37" rubbers....
(KIA)

Don
Old 12-28-2009, 11:38 PM

Shouldn't, but it does. Especially on anything 3/4 or bigger for some reason. My 76 F-250 woud lock up tight as a drum just getting out of the mud and onto pavement.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:32 PM
The Token Canadian

Admin

DNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond repute
I would suspect a mismatch somewhere in the driveline...that does not sound normal.