Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Trucks been sitting

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
No problem. Let us know how you make out.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Bought a new battery cable from Walmart. One of the cheaper ones by the battery stuff. I dont care for the end it has on it, but itll do for now.
Also bought some 10w30 oil and a motorcraft filter.
Was gonna do some work today on it but the ground is so wet so i cant take the cummins back there or id get stuck.
Gonna have to wait till next weekend to really do anything with it.
I usually use the cummins battery to jump it with another battery i got that is laying around that still cranks good..also, when i go to work Monday im gonna order a new solenoid even tho this one hasnt really ever started the truck when i bought it. But last time i tried to start using it, the starter got hung and had to break the cables from the battery and the jumper vehicle.
Might as well Monday after work take the starter out again, and have it tested although its new and verify its good. Should have done that when i ordered the part at the shop. But oh well.
Hopefully after all this, the truck will atleast crank faster and i can move on to why it maybe wont run. But right now is getting crank speed up.
Its gonna run for sure after this. Hopefully.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Look in the battery section of Walmart, i just picked up a group 65 650 cca battery for $48.98. + $12.00 core.
I use it to start my yard dogs. Works good so far.

The machine told me it was a 56 batt. And it was like 119 or something.
Ill have to go back tomorrow and look. On tight budget this week so that will have to wait till Fri.
But ill definitely update this. Need you guys to hang around a bit if u dont mind

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
I've been here since 08. Guess I can stick around a bit....
[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]
I had a 83, and a 86 both had room for the group 65. Only difference the pos and neg get switched. Just turn the battery around.
82b9b0336f95e763004c5f6e9667d37c.jpg
2aa8da6519d09d5196ac0d5411866296.jpg

Figured I'd waste some time with some questions.
I have a vacuum line thats been disconnected for some time now. Prolly back when my papa was alive and he had the truck. Its got a 3/4 inch extension in it. Whenever it gets disconnected, the truck runs super rough. Possibly to the point itll die. Its on the passenger side. Ill have to snap a picture tomorrow.

How much is a complete overhaul for this engine usually go for? Papa told me a long time ago a guy did a compression test and said number 5 or 6 is low.
Of course the trucks been driven alot since then.

Cant wait to get it running again. Once its running again gonna put a nice exhaust system on it. Any good ones? Of course thats gonna be after its running good enough for road reliability.
You have no idea how excited i am. This was literally my first vehicle haha

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Vacuum leak easy to take care of, picture and we can hook you up
Probably you just need to do a head job, valve surfacing or replacment. I have pictures of rebuilding my 4.9, I need to update my build thread soon.

Exhaust, I get mine off ebay, magnum exhaust he sends a custom built dual set with a flow master or cherry bomb . Only welding is tips. Clamps and hangers included for around $200
I'll post you a link tomorrow from the laptop

Fellro

Staff member
The machine told me it was a 56 batt. And it was like 119 or something.
Ill have to go back tomorrow and look. On tight budget this week so that will have to wait till Fri.
But ill definitely update this. Need you guys to hang around a bit if u dont mind

Not sure why it would tell you that as these trucks have always been 65 series, which also give better cca's. I used to use a 65 off the shelf and a set of jumper cables if the jump pack wouldn't do the trick for a customer when I worked in retail parts sales.

Dont take it too severe. Remember I was a kid when i first got this. It looks bad. But im older now and it needs to be a little reliable. Youll see the extension on the right side of carb.
3cd257c26d66f45f16c04899cb7f0436.jpg
7169ace744e7146e5c6f9e5959107e6f.jpg
fac66244a152c0aba08fa6d034ea3668.jpg
7f19f1bc353374627be931af90030b82.jpg
d3ee926941502bd8bb50f661d26223d1.jpg
5df31f813fa91ca1df5a4cc1992a808a.jpg

Can long bed trucks even look good? Once i get it running i wanna make this thing a show truck one day. But i dont see any on google

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
All my trucks are long beds. They look great!

Jasperrc

Texas Chapter member
Honestly, I loved the look of my old long bed 71 and never understood why so many folks insist that short beds are better looking.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Agreed. Saw a 80 f 150 yesterday. Lowered, painted nice. Looked good. I'm not much on lowered, but it looked nice
Here's one of my babies
5cb010648da119313b1060635d74151d.jpg

Haven't had time to do much with it due to work Going to get going on it a little bit Saturday. Taking my daily in to get an autostart put in. Ill have time while my daily is away .

So i should have a new solenoid put in and hopefully later that day ill use the daily battery and see if it will crank over faster. Also gotta hook up the new battery to solenoid cable along with oil change

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Make sure it's not the grounds in the drivers door1 goes into 5. They usually come apart.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts