Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

dead 6.0

Fl.
my old boss has a 2005 crew cab 4x4 f250 that has a 6.0 in it. The engine is broken. coolant in the cylinders, left sitting for 5 months. So it needs a new engine and he is unwilling to put another 6.0 in it. So he offered me the truck for 4k, just cutting his losses and moving on. The truck had less than 50k miles on it. Ford would do nothing to help him warranty wise. so if I buy this truck what engine should I put in it? I need some suggestions. What engine other than the 6.0 will bolt up to his transmission? how much of the elect will be different? should I go 460?

A little help please
Thanks
Bax

blacksnapon

Staff member
pull all of the glow plugs then hit the starter. A defective egr cooler will fill the cylinders with coolant.

Fl.
That is the problem. When the EGR went it filled the engine. after it would not start they let it sit for months with coolant in it. the motor is ruined now.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
That is the problem. When the EGR went it filled the engine. after it would not start they let it sit for months with coolant in it. the motor is ruined now.

Maybe, maybe not. Give Blacksnapon time to reply. He's a Certified Ford Mechanic and has solved MANY 6.0 problems. Listen up and you may have gotten one hell of a deal. :)

There are a few other Certified Mechs on this board too that I'm sure will chime in.

Fl.
I know Blacksnapon is good at all this stuff. i was not discounting his advice. I will try everything to unlock the engine when and if he sells it to me. I am hoping it turns out to be rebuildable. I will rebuild it and find out what needs to be done to the egr and oil cooler to make it more reliable.

Fl.
I just got the truck to the house. There are pieces of the engine everywhere. the intake is off and I can see coolant in the heads, The truck has sat at kelly ford for 6 months. I don't know the whole story but this thing is a mess. I am going to try and pull the glow plugs and crank it just to see if it will and if so to get the water out of it.

blacksnapon

Staff member
I just got the truck to the house. There are pieces of the engine everywhere. the intake is off and I can see coolant in the heads, The truck has sat at kelly ford for 6 months. I don't know the whole story but this thing is a mess. I am going to try and pull the glow plugs and crank it just to see if it will and if so to get the water out of it.
pull the glow plugs, and if it wont crank, use a socket on the lower pulley to try to break it loose. If you can get all of the coolant out of the cylinders somehow first, filling the cylinders with penetrating oil might help as well.

Fl.
very good I will give it a try I can't seem to find the turbo? the computer is in the back seat.
Thanks

Fl.
Ok the engine will crank over. keep in mind the intake is off the engine. I took out the glow plugs and turned the key. She turns over just fine. She also sprays diesel all over from the fuel line. but it cranks. So the question has to be why is the intake off the engine?

blacksnapon

Staff member
Ok the engine will crank over. keep in mind the intake is off the engine. I took out the glow plugs and turned the key. She turns over just fine. She also sprays diesel all over from the fuel line. but it cranks. So the question has to be why is the intake off the engine?

The EGR cooler is part of the intake (stainless steel tube on the passenger side of the intake). Make sure you replace the oil cooler as well (thats what usually causes the egr cooler to fail).

Fl.
yeah I found it in the back seat. How would i check the high pressure oil pump? I just found out that is why it was in the shop?

Fl.
OK what do I do now? Motor cranks How do i figure out what is wrong with the engine.

blacksnapon

Staff member
is the pump and oil rails still in it? Its usually done electronically and air pressure. You can test step by step though, Pull the oil filter out, and with a long screwdriver, hold down the valve at the bottom of the filter housing while someone cranks it. It should fill up with oil in 5 seconds or so. If it does, the low pressure oil system is ok.

Fl.
Well i went looking for the high pressure oil pump. I found it in the back seat. It is shot. The end of the shaft is actually wearing into the case? So this must be why the engine is apart. I was told it was hard to start. I guess! so what about the metal from this pump? Is it even worth putting together to try and make it run. is there a magnet in the bottom of the pan?

blacksnapon

Staff member
Problem is, when you get metal schards in the oil, it turns up in the worst places. Tearing up the low pressure pump, ruining injectors, metal pieces in all oil passages, IPR screen clogging. None of it will come out easily. Might be time to check prices.

Fl.
Thats what i was afraid of when I saw the pump. I unscrewed the solenoid looking thing on top of the high pressure pump. It had a screen in it that was half blocked with metal. Right then I thought, oh crap that stuff will be everywhere. have you ever seen a pump shaft eat into the housing? the shaft is only about 8'' long and it was at least a half inch off center on one end. So rebuild kit or junkyard motor?

blacksnapon

Staff member
Thats what i was afraid of when I saw the pump. I unscrewed the solenoid looking thing on top of the high pressure pump. It had a screen in it that was half blocked with metal. Right then I thought, oh crap that stuff will be everywhere. have you ever seen a pump shaft eat into the housing? the shaft is only about 8'' long and it was at least a half inch off center on one end. So rebuild kit or junkyard motor?
I'd go junkyard. If the "solenoid thing" (IPR) screen has metal, its all through the engine.

Fl.
If i rebuilt this engine chances are I would need a crankshaft due to the scratching from the metal. What else would need attention? I looked at the ford rebuild kit. it seems reasonable. this motor has not had head problems yet and the studs come in the kit along with the high pressure pump. What else is going to give me problems.

Ford Truck Articles