Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

NHTSA Preliminary Evaluation of 05-07 SD death wobble.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
It appears that the NHTSA has launched a Preliminary Evaluation(PE) investigation into this on 11/15/07.

PE: Initial phase of a NHTSA investigation, a PE is prompted after a review of consumer complaints and/or manufacturer service bulletins suggest a safety defect may exist. The results of a PE determine whether the investigation will be upgraded to an Engineering Analysis or closed. Most PEs are resolved within four months.

NHTSA Action Number : PE07057 NHTSA Recall Campaign Number : N/A
Make / Models : Model/Build Years:
FORD / F-250 2005-2007

FORD / F-250 SD 2005-2007

FORD / F-250 SUPERDUTY 2005

FORD / F-350 2005-2007

FORD / F-350 SD 2005-2007

FORD / F-350 SUPERDUTY 2005

FORD / F250 2007

FORD / F350 2005-2007

Manufacturer : FORD MOTOR COMPANY
Component :
SUSPENSION
SUSPENSION:FRONT

Date Investigation Opened : November 15, 2007
Date Investigation Closed : Open
Summary:
ODI HAS RECEIVED 61 CONSUMER COMPLAINTS OF SEVERE SUSPENSION AND STEERING WHEEL OSCILLATIONS AFTER THE SUBJECT VEHICLES TRAVELED OVER AN UNEVEN SURFACE. THE MAJORITY OF THESE INCIDENTS OCCURRED AT SPEEDS OF 50 MPH OR HIGHER. MANY OF THE COMPLAINANTS INDICATED LOSS OF STEERING CONTROL AND THAT THE OSCILLATIONS DO NOT STOP UNTIL THE VEHICLE HAS SLOWED SIGNIFICANTLY OR STOPPED. SOME COMPLAINANTS INDICATED THAT THE VEHICLE SHIFTED LANES AND SPUN OUT AS A RESULT OF THE VIOLENT SUSPENSION AND STEERING WHEEL OSCILLATIONS. ADDITIONAL FACTORS CONTRIBUTING TO THE OPENING OF THIS PE WERE EARLY WARNING FIELD REPORTS, SUBMITTED BY FORD, DESCRIBING SUSPENSION OSCILLATIONS AND A TSB (07-10-10) SUBMITTED BY FORD DESCRIBING THE SUSPENSION OSCILLATION ISSUE AND HOW TO REPAIR THE PROBLEM. A PRELIMINARY EVALUATION HAS BEEN OPENED TO ASSESS THE SCOPE, FREQUENCY, AND SAFETY CONSEQUENCES OF THE ALLEGED DEFECT.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/defects/results.cfm

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
If the link causes problems go here
www.nhtsa.dot.gov/

Click on Recalls, Defects and Complaints Databases and search for "Action" PE07057

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
Ok if I'm reading this right, this is a PENDING recall, or one that is going on now?

Gunner

blacksnapon

Staff member
Ok if I'm reading this right, this is a PENDING recall, or one that is going on now?

Gunner
The way I understand it, it's just an investigation to see if more action is required.

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
The way I understand it, it's just an investigation to see if more action is required.

Ahhhh............Will be watching this like that cat who ate the cheese and waited for the mouse with baited breath :)

Gunner

blacksnapon

Staff member
how about that death wobble, eh? :p

Does this increase in likelyhood when you get larger tires?

Ryan
I had a Dodge quad cab in here with the wobble so bad it would shake the battery terminals off. I fixed that one by putting stock size tires back on it. Thats not to say it would fix all of them though.

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
larger tires usually means suspension lift of some degree. when i was doing front end work before coming to the truck shop, i fixed many of these. lifts and larger tires were on most of the trucks. those that werent, were work trucks with trailors. in both situations, caster was changing causing the death wobble.

Kep4

Jäger
The 'DW' on my truck was cured after installing a Bilstein 2.25" leveling kit, Bilstein 5100 HD shocks and having an alignment shop adjust the caster to the setting bowtiehatr recommended (Thanks again!!). I can't recall what that setting is though... :headbang:

Fortunately, the shop that does the alignment keeps a record of my truck so they know what to do when I bring it in.

When it did have Death Wobble it was a very scary experience!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts