Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

E-brake won't hold

Kep4

Jäger
Alrighty guys, here's the issue:

When I depress the parking brake, it just goes to the floor with little resistance and the brakes don't hold the truck. Once in a while it will 'grab hold' but that's definitely the exception.

What should I check to fix this? It's really a pain since my driveway is on a slight incline but I'm more concerned with being off road and needing the brake on a steep incline. I don't want to rely on the trans to hold this beast!

blacksnapon

Staff member
First step, make sure the brakes are adjusted correctly. Then, you have adjustments on the cable itself.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Vince said it. Not sure about your 05 but my 95 has drums in the rear that must be properly adjusted via a star wheel through a slot on the inside of wheel. This is to compensate for the material that has worn off of the shoes from usage.

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
the park brake shoes are on the inside of the rotors on the rear. you may need to replace them but i would try tightening the slack adjuster.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Rotors with shoes? Are you mixing two different types of brakes here? :D

Does the 05 still have drums on the rear or did they switch to discs?

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Thanks Guys! I'll check out it out in the AM and see what happens.
I doubt it has anything to do with the rear brake shoes on the rear discs (HUH?). Parking brakes work off rear brake shoes, just like in the old days. Rear discs brakes have a small drum setup where these shoes are located.

Russ, you could have asked me on Sunday..we coulda fixed it while the coffee was cooling. Prolly needs the cables adjusted. Where the front parking brake cable meets the two rear brake cables is the equalizer bar and adjustment nut (left side frame rail area). Tighten the nut = problem solved.

The only (unlikely) other reason, is the tiny parking brake control scissors spring has broken. Once, these were available, but Ford figured out if they no longer supplied the spring by itself, they'd sell lotsa control units...and that's exactly what they did in 1973.

Last edited:

Kep4

Jäger
Equalizer bar and adjustment nut... I'll check it out Bill!

If I can't get it fixed then we can check it out at the next 'meeting'. :)

Thanks again for the coffee card!! :wavey:

Last edited:

Kep4

Jäger
Here's what I found: When I apply the brake, the cable is pulled for about 1/3 of the rotation with good pressure, then the cable appears to 'slip', the pressure (effort to depress the pedal) drops off and the cable stops pulling. The cable underneath the truck is not taut. Could this be a problem with the brake unit inside the cab?

I am no expert, but with every one I have ever messed with the cable under the truck needed the slack taken out of it at the adjustment.

So far...I have not seen an issue with the inside parts.

Even my 56 hand brake (inside parts) worked fine when I got it. The cable underneath was way loose though.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Here's what I found: When I apply the brake, the cable is pulled for about 1/3 of the rotation with good pressure, then the cable appears to 'slip', the pressure (effort to depress the pedal) drops off and the cable stops pulling. The cable underneath the truck is not taut. Could this be a problem with the brake unit inside the cab?
If the cables aren't taut underneath, that has nothing to do with the parking brake control assy.

The cables will stretch with age, and loosen. Then, the usual problem is where the equalizer nut and adjustment bar are.

The cables rarely get adjusted, so the nut rusts solid. It'll prolly have to taken it apart and cleaned.

Next GTG

Please bring a blanket, I hate laying on asphalt.

Bring metric wrenches, I have zero.

If you can find a wench or two...bring them along, too.

Kep4

Jäger
Some wenches and some wrenches. Got the wrenches in the toolbox... I'll see what I can do regarding wenches... Thanks Bill!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts