Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Question about my rear

Here is the story, don't know if anything is wrong or this is just how it works. My 06 F350 cc psd has a 3.73 LS in it. The wife and I were taking the boat out of the lake this weekend, she was in the truck, and the lake was low. With the lake being low you have to be down the ramp aways into the slimmy stuff. When she took off, like a bat from hell, truck broke loose and would only spin one tire. She locked in the 4 wheel and made it out fine. The very next day, same thing, but both tires where spinning.

My question is, why did only one tire spin one day, and both tires spin the next day. We were on the same ramp, with the same conditions.

Just curious

FFPEREZ

andym

Real men are fanatics
Ford doesn't install very aggressive limited slips. No manufacturer does these days, and this is because people want a truck that acts like a car. Can you imagine the warranty claims with a new truck and a really aggressive limited slip? Buyers would be complaining left and right about wheel hop and chatter. So they charge people a bunch of money for the limited slip and turn it so far down that it barely works.

Nice, huh?

If you want a good limited slip, you're going to have to spend the money on a good aftermarket one. If it were me, I'd skip the clutch style and get a detroit locker.

First, :rolling laugh: you really, really need to change the title of this thread!!!:rolling laugh: We have a couple of guys on here that have been accused of being, uh, er, well let's just say questionable persuasion and they might be wanting to become "friends". :rolling laugh: BTW, I'm just kidding, but the thread title made me laugh.

Now about your rear differential.....it's just like it says, "limited slip" not a "locker".

Last edited:

andym

Real men are fanatics
I decided to pass on the obvious joke about his ass. I mean, rear end. :D

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
I'm not sure if it can be done to newer models, but I know the old limited slips for the 9 inch rear could be set up tighter when they were rebuilt. If it's possible on whatever rear is in your truck, it might be a cheaper alternative to buying the real deal.

BTW: I was rather well behaved, wasn't I Goose?

The title was supposed to get your attention, and it did. Thanks for all the replies. I figured it was the nature of the beast. I might consider a detroit locker down the road.

On my 98 f150 with limited slip one of the tires, on a turn, would either bark or hop.

I wish they would build a truck like it is a TRUCK. If I want a car I will borrow the wife's.

holy crap.... all the potential in this thread. i can't offer mechanical help, but my posting without the obvious shots.......i'm gonna have to start drinking liquor again. the title alone, i had to restrain from jumping. i behaved...for me that's a good "tech" post.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I need a crash course in limited slip differentials. I'm gonna have to look it up and learn about it. I can't think of a way to make it 'help' distribute power evenly without being all or nothing.

Ryan

andym

Real men are fanatics
You can go to howstuffworks.com and they have a good write-up on differentials. I honestly could not fathom how all six gears worked together to move a truck until I read their article.

FIRST of all, the reason it spun on one tire on one day and two the next pretty much lies in the "BAT OUTTA HELL" line. If you gun a LS, one tire will take off. a little easier on the throttle and BOTH tires will turn, and Ideally this would be closer to IDLE, to let the tires "walk" out of the situation. See, if you gun it, the truck diff thinks you just want to go fast, and has no clue as to the surface. Next time, just ease out on the clutch and watch em work.

Last edited:
FIRST of all, the reason it spun on one tire on one day and two the next pretty much lies in the "BAT OUTTA HELL" line. If you gun a LS, one tire will take off. a little easier on the throttle and BOTH tires will turn, and Ideally this would be closer to IDLE, to let the tires "walk" out of the situation. See, if you gun it, the truck diff thinks you just want to go fast, and has no clue as to the surface. Next time, just ease out on the clutch and watch em work.

I wish my wife could understand that explanation. I tried to tell her that but it didn't really work. YelloThumbUp

I wish my wife could understand that explanation. I tried to tell her that but it didn't really work. YelloThumbUp
Yeah,my wife says when I start telling her how stuff works, all she hears is WHITE NOISE, lol...

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Yes it looks fat. There are you guys happy now?

Just to second what the Truck Driver said, use the brake to let it inch or creep forward. Also you can shift it into 2 and it will lock in 2nd gear and also make spinning the tires harder.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts