Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

computer chips

Ok I need some help. I am trying to create a new program for my 07 F-150 but before I begin I need to know what kind of chips are in the vehicle as in size, what the chip is for, programming language used...etc...Is there anyone out there that can help me with this?

I am trying to basically create a program that is run from your home computer that involves auto start, GPS, WiFi, and diagnostics all in one and your computer will archive logs so you can go back and check to see the condition your vehicle has been running in.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Moved to correct forum.

'Bout all I can do to help, though...

well if they are no help I can always get ahold of my uncle he is a GM engineer so he may be able to help and I know its possible and I am good at computer programming so I am pretty sure I can make it happen.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
So if he is a GM engineer, he will have unlimited access to public funds to help.
'hiding_smilie'

Sorry, couldn't help myself :D

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
I am trying to basically create a program that is run from your home computer that involves auto start, GPS, WiFi, and diagnostics all in one and your computer will archive logs so you can go back and check to see the condition your vehicle has been running in.

Well I am not going to tell you this can't be done, because with enough time & money many things can be accomplished. That being said you have a very long & steep uphill climb.

First you are going to need to negotiate and purchase a license from FOMCO that will allow you to access there computer data streams and programming. Also know that FOMCO has the most complex vehicle computer systems on the market that monitor hundreds of data inputs through multiple paths & computers. The 6.0 SD for example has 4 different computer system pathways that are not directly connected to each other and use different bus methods to comunicate.

For what ever year & model Ford vehicle you want to start with you will need to get your hands on all the completer FOMCO shop manuals, along with FOMCO programming license. You will need to read the manuals and thoroughly understand each computer system & comunication pathway on the particular vehicle.
If you do not already fully understand how the CAN bus protocol works and is implemented you need to get up to speed on this to understand its limitations and capabilities. The CAN bus protocol will be your limiting factor along with the restrictions each manufacture places on it in their vehicle line.

WiFi will be a difficult connection as CAN bus data streams do no fit well with WiFi data streams.
GPS technology is implemented by the manufactures in their "black boxes" they use for there air bag monitor system, but these systems are very secretive, propietary and guarded. The manufactures, trial lawyers & Federal government are not very forth coming about this technology do to the privacy law issues and public back lash. If the public only new what the true capabilities of the On Star vehicle tracking system really is coupled with it's two way speaker system in the vehicle they would never own a vehicle with one of these systems.

Auto Enginuity has the best consumer available vehicle engine analyzer software on the market and they have been doing this for many years. You may be able to pitch your ideas to them and see if you could collaberate with them on your project as they have already put in years of ground work on programming the use of the data streams available.
Auto Enginuity systems already monitor all available (this means released & made available through licensing from FOMCO) information streams in real time, capture & save logs of all this data and allow you to perform systems test with both the engine running & off. Also note that with the engine off the ignition key is in either the "off" or "run" position depending on the data streams that need to be accessed and tested.
As for "auto start" if you are refering to the computer analyzer program doing this, Auto Enginuity does this when you plug your laptop into the vehicle test port and open the software. If you mean auto start the engine, this can be accomplished with a simple remote start system available from most alarm manufactures.

Good luck :wavey:

Last edited:

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Here is a short overview on vehicle on board diagnotic computer systems.
I have a long article on CAN Bus if you would like a copy of it, PM me your email address.

Attachments

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Sent!
Edit your post and remove your email address.
You only want to post email addresses etc in a PM through the system as spybots roam the web at night harvesting emails etc from forums then you get unwanted spam

Ford Truck Articles