Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

2005 Ford F-350 Super Duty Problem

Hello i am new here. :wavey:

Anyways i have a 2005 Ford F-350 Super duty Milage is around 40k Automatic 6.0 L, I have been having a problem lately. When i am driving and my rpm goes till 3 and it wont shift by its self it'll hold in 3 rpm until you let go of the pedal and than itll shift. If i let go of the gas it makes a choking sound.On the odeometor this message also pops up "water in fuel" and i drained the water under the truck and the message still comes up, could that be causing the problem? I changed all the filters and changed the oil, i poured diesel treatment and nothing helps. I am trying to avoid going to the dealer because their prices are so high.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
hows the trans Fluid level? did you chek that?

ohh and welcome :D

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Welcome to the site man.....we've got at least 3 Ford Certified techs on here so I'm sure they'll chime in after work tomorrow....Get some pics up of the truck sometime too!

blacksnapon

Staff member

Anyways i have a 2005 Ford F-350 Super duty Milage is around 40k Automatic 6.0 L, I have been having a problem lately. When i am driving and my rpm goes till 3 and it wont shift by its self it'll hold in 3 rpm until you let go of the pedal and than itll shift. If i let go of the gas it makes a choking sound.On the odeometor this message also pops up "water in fuel" and i drained the water under the truck and the message still comes up, could that be causing the problem? I changed all the filters and changed the oil, i poured diesel treatment and nothing helps. I am trying to avoid going to the dealer because their prices are so high.
First off, Welcome to the site! The water in fuel issue can be repaired with a manifold change (part of the hfcm). You might need a new flash. These deal with shift strategies as well as engine issues. The trans will shift according to load request. This is determined with inputs from the app, maf, map, and ebp sensors. You may need the dealers help anyway!

First off, Welcome to the site! The water in fuel issue can be repaired with a manifold change (part of the hfcm). You might need a new flash. These deal with shift strategies as well as engine issues. The trans will shift according to load request. This is determined with inputs from the app, maf, map, and ebp sensors. You may need the dealers help anyway!

you totally lost me there, can you explain in a simplier way? Thanks

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
you totally lost me there, can you explain in a simplier way? Thanks

What blacksnapon (He is one of our resident Ford techs btw) is trying to say is that unless you have all the computer diagnostic tools this is usually a dealer diagnostic and repair item. There are multiple sensors the engine and transmission use to shift and operate properly.

APP = Accelerator Position Sensor
MAF = Mass Air Flow & Intake Air Temperature 1 Sensor
MAP = Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor
EBP = Exhaust Backpressure Sensor

The Torqshift transmission is computer controlled and shifts based on load, driver demand, engine parameters and environmental conditions. The Transmission also constantly learns. In addition if you disconnect the batteries the transmission has to relearn its shifting strategy based on your driving habits.

I assume you had the transmission fluid & filter changed at 30k miles, and that you are only using Mercon SP transmission fluid.

Can you give us a little more information on your truck, is it stock or are there engine mods (ie tuner, exhaust, air intake)?

This is the HFCM, if you are still getting a WIF light after draining the HFCM then more than likely the sensor tabs are corroded. The fix for this is replacement of the HFCM with a new updated model that does away with the heating element in the unit as it was found that it was causing corrosion problems on the WIF sensor. Fixing the WIF light will not solve your transmission shifting issues however.

The engine is warrantied for 5yr/100K miles ($100 deductible after 36k miles) so if it is an engine sensor (MAP, MAF, EBP, APP) problem it would be under warranty. If it is a transmission problem then it will come out of your pocket. Dealer replacement of the HFCM is about $175 IIRC. As for the flash comment, there may be a newer computer program out for your truck to resolve driveability problems.

Last edited:
I dont have a warranty i checked with them. so you dont think if i change the filters again it will do much, the provlem is also when i let go of gas theres this like choking sound???

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
I dont have a warranty i checked with them. so you dont think if i change the filters again it will do much, the provlem is also when i let go of gas theres this like choking sound???

Changing the filters again is not going to solve your problem. Without being able to plug in a diagnostic computer to read the codes a perform diagnostics, it will be nearly impossible to determine the cause or cause of your trucks problems.

Is your engine stock or are there aftermarket performance modifications on it (ie tuner, exhaust, air intake0?

Why would you not have a Factory warranty on your engine? Was your truck a "buy back" from Ford, totalled by insurance or does it have performance modifications on it?

Changing the filters again is not going to solve your problem. Without being able to plug in a diagnostic computer to read the codes a perform diagnostics, it will be nearly impossible to determine the cause or cause of your trucks problems.

Is your engine stock or are there aftermarket performance modifications on it (ie tuner, exhaust, air intake0?

Why would you not have a Factory warranty on your engine? Was your truck a "buy back" from Ford, totalled by insurance or does it have performance modifications on it?

I have a branded salvage,the problems have nothing to do with the accident the truck was in. i have owned the truck since 06 and never had any problems since after the water in fuel message came up. I never changed the filter under the driver side by the place where you can drain the water from, can that be the problem?. if i go to autozone or shucks and take their little computer that plugs in to the car or truck under the dash will that show any codes or do i need a special kind of computer??

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
I have a branded salvage,the problems have nothing to do with the accident the truck was in. i have owned the truck since 06 and never had any problems since after the water in fuel message came up. I never changed the filter under the driver side by the place where you can drain the water from, can that be the problem?. if i go to autozone or shucks and take their little computer that plugs in to the car or truck under the dash will that show any codes or do i need a special kind of computer??

Well if you have never changed the filter at the HFCM on the frame rail you should. The fuel filters on these trucks are two pieces, one in the HFCM on the frame rail and one on top the engine next to the oil filter. The fuel filters come in a kit with both filters and new o-rings and cost about $45-50 from you local IH dealer or more from your local Ford dealer. You only want to use the Racor filters not some off brand knock off filter that does not meet specifications. The fuel filters should be changed every 10-15k miles depending on your driving conditions. Not changing the fuel filters often enough will result in fuel pressure drops, fuel starvation leading to premature injector failure. I would not bet on the fuel filter replacement fixing the WIF light, more than likely there is corrosion on the WIF sensor pins and the HFCM section will need to be replaced.

As for the transmission problems this is not related to your WIF light or fuel filters. The transmission fluid should be flushed every 30k miles with the filters changed at the same time. Also the bypass filter should be changed every 15k miles. Only use Mercon "SP" transmission fluid, any other fluid will destroy the solenoids in the transmission.

It is doubtful at best the CSK will be able to pull all the transmission and FMC extended codes with there generic code reader, but you can try. Generic code readers only read the basic OBDII codes required by the federal government, but FMC has about 300 extended codes in the PSD that can be read with the dealer computers or sophisticated aftermarket software.

You can try the CKS code readers but do not be surprised if they are not successful or complete.

You can go here to purchase Official Ford service manuals
www.helminc.com/helm/homepage.asp?r...&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=&oe=

If you do not have the factory owners manual and PSD supplement they can be downloaded here
https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/owners_manuals/default.asp
or
www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/retail/default.asp?pageid=&gutsid=

The 6.0 PSD requires very specific maintenance and if it does not get it, the engine and transmission can be very temperamental. Negelcting basic service on this paricular engine will get very costly quickly.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut

Welcome to the site. Where are you located? The truck not shifting is probably due to a sticking turbo, if your getting a noise out the intake when letting off the gas. You can replace the water in fuel mainifold to take care of the message the sensor usually get corroded and short out. It's easy, on the frame rail at the filter housing you just need to change the cover that the 4 lines attatch to, remove the 4 lines and remove 4 screws, install the new cover and reattatch the lines.

Welcome to the site. Where are you located? The truck not shifting is probably due to a sticking turbo, if your getting a noise out the intake when letting off the gas. You can replace the water in fuel mainifold to take care of the message the sensor usually get corroded and short out. It's easy, on the frame rail at the filter housing you just need to change the cover that the 4 lines attatch to, remove the 4 lines and remove 4 screws, install the new cover and reattatch the lines.

Whats a sticking turbo?? I am getting noise when letting go of the gas. :headbang:

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
so if you would be me what would you start with?

To add on to what Goose and Dave posted, go by your local auto parts and see if they can pull any codes to give you a direction to start on the transmission. Dave told you how to change the HFCM water in fuel manifold. The turbo on a 6.0 is a variable vane (ie the vanes move to change the effective size of the turbo. If these vanes on the (hot side) of the turbo get corroded, rusted, caked with carbon they can stick and cause the turbo not to respond properly. If the turbo is not operating properly it should set a code. If your local auto parts store cannot retrieve the codes then you may have to spend the money to let your local FMC dealer hook-up their computer to pull codes and run diagnostic tests so that you know where to start correcting the problems. Throwing parts at the truck without knowing the codes can get expensive quickly.

Also what part of the country do you live in? This will help us possibly direct you to people who can help you out.

Last edited:
well, i dont know if any codes will come up since there is no check engine, i called the dealer and all he told me come into the shop, but thats gonna be really spendy. How can i find out if its my turbo sensor, because the problem is that it doesnt pull and when you let off the gas is makes a noise?

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Just because there is no CEL does not mean that there are not "codes" that have been set and stored in the PCM. Not all codes set a hard CEL. Unfortunately you own a modern, highly complex, computer controlled vehicle, and the only proper way to diagnose them is to use a computer that can read the codes, analyze and test the sensors. In addition you have listed multiple symptoms & problems that may very well be caused by more than one problem, without proper diagnostics we are all just throwing parts at it in the dark.

You can go by your local autoparts and see if they can read any codes for you otherwise you need to go to the dealer have them hook your truck up to their computer and run diagnostics. Ask them for an estimate to run diagnostics on your truck. Also unless you live in a really small town, there should be more than one Ford dealer so call and talk to 2-3 and get an estimate.

What part of the country do you live in, one of our resident techs may be close to you?

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
well, i dont know if any codes will come up since there is no check engine, i called the dealer and all he told me come into the shop, but thats gonna be really spendy. How can i find out if its my turbo sensor, because the problem is that it doesnt pull and when you let off the gas is makes a noise?

Just because there is no check engine doesn't mean there are no codes, some codes don't turn a light on untill it sees the issue a certain # of times, but it will still throw a code.

Ford Truck Articles