Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Poll. Iron vs Aluminum Block

Which block is best for building up a engine?

• Aluminum

Votes: 13 40.6%
  • Iron

Votes: 19 59.4%

• Total voters

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Well iron would be STRONGER, but it depends on what you plan on doing with the motor...
Any kind of nitrous or forced induction?
If not, go aluminum...
If so, Iron all the way...

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I'm going to say Iron.. :D

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
My vote was iron. I'll take strength over light weight anyday. While weight is an issue for speed...is this engine really going in something that'll be going down the 1/4 mile all the time? If not, I'll take the reliability and extra couple of pounds.

Last edited:

klatt_89

Gotta Be Somebody
I guess after doing some research and seeing what a few of the guys that have raced the 4.6's have said, it's either the Teksid block because it's not actually a Ford machining but their machining. Although they also said the iron blocks are pretty strong as well. A little specs of weight off of Ford Racing Performance.
Production Cast Iron 4.6 Iron Block: 178 lbs.
Aluminum 4.6 Block: 129 lbs.
Aluminum 4.6 Block for Supercharging: 165lbs.
That's just the blocks, but not a lot of weight difference really. Specs taken from:
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/category.asp?catID=38&catdesc=Engine Blocks
But i'd still like to see what everyone here thinks, cause i respect everyones advice.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Iron, no contest.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I don't know of any body making Modular aftermarket Iron blocks.
The only ones I have seen have all been Aluminum racing block.....

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Last edited:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Also if I've read my info correctly, Ford is going to make the 5.4 in the Shelby out of aluminum in 2011...right now it is just the heads.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts