Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

300 in '49 F4

I noticed mtflat was thinking about putting a 300 six in his '50 F4. I am in the process of installing a 300 in mine, but it is not a Ford 300 six. I'm using a Mercedes-Benz 300 Turbo diesel. I have it mated to the original transmission and setting in the truck. The flathead v8 that was in my truck was seized. I was going to build a 255 Merc engine, but I had this engine and thought I would use it. Everything I have done to the truck to install the diesel is reversible so, a flathead could be reinstalled later if I want to. I have also installed a 3-speed carrier bearing, aka Brownie :) , so maybe I will get some decent fuel mileage. When I figure out how to post photos I can take some and add them later if anyone is interested.
Thanks, Mark

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
If you can't get pictures posted, you can email them to me and I'll stick them in.

I have a photobucket account, and I upload pictures on my laptop to that acct and from there I can insert the weblink into my posts. Photobucket automatically sizes them for internet sharing.

I like the sound of what you're doing.

ps: Don't scrap the flathead - it probably has some valuable parts, even seized.

Here are a couple of photos of the Mercedes engine and Ford 4-speed bolted together. I used an H flathead six stamped steel bellhousing. I machined a steel plate to bolt to the back of the engine in place of the Mercedes auto trans mounting plate. I rotated the H bellhousing a few degrees to raise the starter position to the Mercedes starter position, the Mercedes oil pan belled out too much to leave the starter in the flathead position. I used a starter for an FE Ford V8 and a neutral balance flywheel for a 460. The flywheel has the correct bolt pattern for original 11" flathead clutch and pressure plate. I machined an adapter to bolt the 460 flywheel to the Mercedes crank. I still have to send the flywheel, adapter and Mercedes flywheel off to have them check the balance. The engine needs to be cleaned and have some of the gaskets changed before I install it permanently.
M-BDieselfor1949Fordtruck4640x480_zpsd008b53c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
M-BDieselfor1949FordTruck640x480_zps18f7aa92.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
I will tack some photos of the engine in the truck and post them later.
Thanks, Mark

havi

third member
Awesome!

I should do this

Subscribed to this one - there's some very clever engineering and a lot of thought gone into that Mark .

Thanks for all the replies and kind words. I took some photos of the engine in the truck. Thanks again, Mark
IMGP5030_zps20664fc7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMGP5050_zpsdf89ae26.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMGP5062_zps8db5bcc5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

More photos.
IMGP5031_zps68f5883b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMGP5035_zpscf538c55.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
The first photo is the crossmember I fabricated for the Mercedes motor mounts. I had to remove the flathead motor mounts as they were in the way. I drilled out the rivets and saved them in case they need to go back in later. Once I drill a couple of holes and bolt the new crossmember in place I will remove the engine and transmission. I will then finish drilling and bolting the crossmember in place and repaint the front of the frame. The second photo is the Mercedes engine oil cooler I mounted in front of the radiator. I will have to lengthen the hoses to hook it up.
Thanks, Mark

Thanks for the replies. I will post photos as I get more done. I'm ready to assemble the transmission now that I have the bearing retainer/ trans mount repaired. I'm also helping my son install an engine in his '69 Bronco so I don't get a lot of time to work on the truck.
Thanks again, Mark

I wanted to edit my last post after I posted it on the page, but I was unable to find the edit "button". After I reread the post I thought it sounded like I resented having to help my son with his Bronco and not being able to work on my truck. Maybe no one else read it that way, but I just wanted to be clear. We could have had his Bronco running last fall, but we ran out of time. He left for predeployment training in November 2012 and returned home from Afghanistan October 9, 2013. This was his third tour, one to Iraq and two to Afghanistan, as a combat engineer doing route clearance. So, I am very proud of him, and more than excited to have him home safe, and able to work on his truck. I am tickled to help him, and will put my truck on the back burner as long as I need to. I still hope to have my truck on the road this summer. My son told me the other day that he wanted us to both drive our trucks to the car show at Petit Jean State Park this coming fathers day 2014. That would be cool!

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Guess I didn't take it that way Mark. Having a couple of grown sons who need help with projects often keeps me away from my own work at times. That's just normal "dad" stuff. I decided I don't have any projects that are more important than spending time with the kids and now grandkids!

Sounds like you have a son to be proud of - enjoy your time together and please tell him I'm very grateful for his service!

I reassembled the transmission for the truck this week. I'm using a T98 Warner in place of the T9 that was in the truck. I don't mind double clutching, but I'm starting to have a little knee trouble as I get older. Since I had the T98 from a '48-'52 truck, I repaired the rear mount and installed new bearings and gaskets. I think my knee will thank me:) .

I'm adding some photos of the throttle linkage and the battery tray.
IMGP5243640x480_zps741dc41c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMGP5241640x480_zps4a712211.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMGP5240640x480_zps7f04f85e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMGP5245640x482_zps29481df1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMGP5247640x591_zps7432419e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
I could have probably simplified the throttle linkage but, I wanted to be able to shut the engine off under the hood if necessary. I made the battery tray from 1/8 stainless sheet. I made it to fit the Mercedes battery as it was almost new. The tray clamps on the bottom flanges of the battery so there are no frame or bolts holding it down from the top. It is a very clean mounting. I still have to bolt the tray down to the frame brackets.

Ford Truck Articles