Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Lincoln alternator

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
So I believe the alternator bit the dust on the Hot Rod Lincoln today (08 MKZ with 3.5). Try to turn it over, nothing but clicks. I got a jump, it was a hard turn over, but started...got it home. Tries turning it over again, nothing but clicks. I have all accessories still, but the horn wouldn't even honk when I double clicked the key fob. The battery was a new Motorcraft 650cca about 6 months ago...so at this point I'm assuming its good. Anything I should test or look at before I jump in to an alternator to the tune of $300-350???

And how the hell do get it out??? It's super tight in there. I can see it, but there's no real room from the top, bottom or side.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Pull the cab, duh.

Seriously, Ben. It sounds more like a battery, new or not. It just sounds like a battery that can't hold a charge. How many miles do you have on the Lincoln now?

Ryan

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Just rolled 90k. I suppose I could throw in a spare battery and see what happens.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
If it is an alternator...just looked on Ford part...and the illustration looks like a nut on a stud and a bolt...so it should be easy enough to slide out.

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
Well, I would say if you can get it running, put a volt meter on the alternator and see how much voltage your getting to the battery.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
So I believe the alternator bit the dust on the Hot Rod Lincoln today (08 MKZ with 3.5). Try to turn it over, nothing but clicks. I got a jump, it was a hard turn over, but started...got it home. Tries turning it over again, nothing but clicks. I have all accessories still, but the horn wouldn't even honk when I double clicked the key fob. The battery was a new Motorcraft 650cca about 6 months ago...so at this point I'm assuming its good. Anything I should test or look at before I jump in to an alternator to the tune of $300-350???

And how the hell do get it out??? It's super tight in there. I can see it, but there's no real room from the top, bottom or side.

Take it to Vince. :D

Well, I would say if you can get it running, put a volt meter on the alternator and see how much voltage your getting to the battery.

^^Agreed. On another note - Holy Crap! Look who showed up again! Welcome back Travis.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
You have to do a little wiggling but it comes out

My Town car acted the same way, fought battery trouble for years. Went so far as to plug a solar board in the power point

Turns out it was the trunk pull down was bad

blacksnapon

Staff member
from the workshop manual

Removal and Installation

NOTE: The radial arm adapter is a serviceable item. Do not replace the generator if the radial arm adapter is the only concern.

Remove the A/C compressor. For additional information, refer to Section 412-01.
Disconnect the battery. For additional information, refer to Section 414-01.
Position the generator protective cover aside, remove the nut and position the generator B+ terminal aside.
To install, tighten to 12 Nm (106 lb-in).
Disconnect the generator electrical connector.
Detach the pin-type retainer and wiring harness.
Remove the oil filter.
Lubricate the oil filter seal with clean engine oil before installation.
Position the engine wiring harness aside.
Remove the generator stud nut.
To install, tighten to 47 Nm (35 lb-ft).
Remove the generator bolt and the generator.
To install, reverse the removal procedure.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Thanks Vince.

Shortly after my original post I jumped the car...it started again. I had some running around to do, so it's just been running for the last 3 hours or so...no issues at all. I figured I'd swing in to a box store for a test. They say the battery is good but they got a 'bad diode code' from the alt and it's only putting out 30 amps...it's a 150amp alt. I'll throw a volt meter on it tomorrow just for peace of mind.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Put a damn multimeter on it. You should know that. Less than 13 volts = not charging

And if autozone says its got a bad diode when they load test it, they're probably right. Those things are usually accurate.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I know I know...I just wasn't going to fool with it last night and was really hoping someone would pop in and save the day 'oh this $5 part is your problem'.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
The Internet said it was stylish. The pink flowers and purple polka dots really make my spring pastels pop.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts