Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

460 ecu & 24# injector swap (can it work?)

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
Ok guys.. I've been thinking.. I still wanna stay speed density.. And a mustang a9l is hard to get for a decent price.. Had one coming for free but find out its burnt up..

So though was I need more fuel than 19# injectors anyways, and wanna stay speed density.. 24# injectors came on 460's.. Now would it be too much? Or because I'm still low on vacuum (about 13", factory is around 20") would I still be having some issue at idle..

That's not my main issue.. I want it to have plenty of fuel...

What y'all think?

Smokin' Tires with my 5.0 on Tapatalk

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
It won't be too much if you tune it. Should've went with the moates setup so you can dial it in.

But if you think the stock injectors won't feed it, which is quite possible, then the 460 injectors would be a fine solution.

Fellro

Staff member
I know it is a Chev, but my uncle is running 454 injectors on his 350 for towing. Only thing he did was change the injectors out. The computer will control the pulse width to keep it from over fueling.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
I know it is a Chev, but my uncle is running 454 injectors on his 350 for towing. Only thing he did was change the injectors out. The computer will control the pulse width to keep it from over fueling.

That's what I did on my suburban... Works best if you adjust the ECM, which I did. Worth it.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
That factory 19lbs can flow enough fuel to support right around 350hp. Even if you swap in the 24lbs, the ECM is not going to flow more fuel than needed into the engine without a tune. Why is your vacuum so low? Have you played with the timing to get it higher?

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
That factory 19lbs can flow enough fuel to support right around 350hp. Even if you swap in the 24lbs, the ECM is not going to flow more fuel than needed into the engine without a tune. Why is your vacuum so low? Have you played with the timing to get it higher?

Vacuum is low cause head cam combo, and I timed by ear and vacuum gauge.. The threw timing light just to see, base is 25*

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
Dont run it without a tune. It will get crap(pier) miliage and could be tough starting. A tune is a must with larger injectors. The tune basically turns your ecm pulse down to lower fuel entry rate for bigger injectors, on a stockish motor, no change. With a power adder...big change.

Your motor can only flow x air cfm. Divide that by about 12.7 (not sure exact mix specs) and u get fuel cfm. You cant up either without the other. A cam and heads might warrant the change...most likely your ecm has already changed itself enough to.compensate for small mods. I am assuming at this point you are running a wide band o2 sensor with gauge. If not. Its time to invest. Talk about easy to tune. I see my 454's afr walk out of spec and i get my tools out to figure out wth is up before i have power issues.

If you had a wide band it would tell you if you needed bigger injectors. And a little test you can do is an ecm reset and see how it runs before it learns.

Im always running in ecm reset mode on my 5.0, but i unhook my battery when i store it. I fire it up and it damn near smokes me out until it figures out wtf is up. Then the idle changes and the smoke clears up and shes good. But thats a lot due to my injectors not being stock and my tune is stock. Gotta love efi.

Sent from my mudwhistle via Lemmiwinks.

primetime

sawmill slave
That's fine and all but in the end the injectors can only flow so much..

That`s right. But 2 or 3 psi could make all the difference. It`s a lot easier than an ECU and injector swap that may or may not be the trick. I`d do the FPU and start saving for a qaurterhorse or Tweecer myself. Especially if your half way serious about adding the turbo you mentioned a while back.

Ford Truck Articles