Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Questions Regarding My '68 390 F100

So, anyone ever pull apart a steering box on a 68?

I'm looking into either rebuilding mine or buying a reman and I was curious as to if anyone had done this before.

I also found an empty (and slightly rusted) front master cylinder chamber when I was checking brake fluid.

The fun continues . . .

So, anyone ever pull apart a steering box on a 68?

I'm looking into either rebuilding mine or buying a reman and I was curious as to if anyone had done this before.

I also found an empty (and slightly rusted) front master cylinder chamber when I was checking brake fluid.

The fun continues . . .

No ,I haven't yet on the steering box!

On my brakes ,it was a leaky brake slave ,an a leaky plunger on
the booster ,I kited the booster & replaced a brake slave.

Its simple to do an the kit parts are cheap!...:)

No ,I haven't yet on the steering box!

On my brakes ,it was a leaky brake slave ,an a leaky plunger on
the booster ,I kited the booster & replaced a brake slave.

Its simple to do an the kit parts are cheap!...:)
I figured that if I'd found rust in the master cylinder, I was looking at a replacement. Im already looking into checking all for drums.

Now on to a positive side note . . .

I sold my 85 foxbody mustang (that I drove for 15+ years) to my brother and he scored a complete exhaust system.

Being the loving brother he is, he is sending the 40 series Flowmasters I put on the car along with tips to install along with an h-pipe I'll have installed onto the truck as I can get it done.

I honestly can't wait so see what those mufflers would sound behind a 6.4 after hearing them behind a 5.0!

I figured that instead of starting a new thread, I would just add to this one.

I still have the truck, but I took a hiatus to recoup and recover from a massive life change and the truck did a lot of sitting where I work and doing nothing. The bossman asked me what my plans were for the truck and I immediately knew that was code for "I need you to move it".

I've been waffling back and forth on whether to sell it, but I don't yet have a clear title so that doesn't seem to be an option. I carry insurance to show that it's in my possession and as of today it limped back to my apartment and into a permit-permitting parking spot (maybe less of a chance of getting towed if I'm paying for it).

As of today it has a new battery and starter cable and it took tranny fluid (only in the car world does that seem perfectly normal), brake fluid, lubed joints and connections, and starter fluid (about 7 rounds to finally get it under it's own power).

I'm sure you can imagine how thrilling it was that raw determination got it running and back to my place under it's own power. It still needs a negative battery cable, new or reconditioned master cylinder (maybe even with a booster of which it is not equipped), rebuilding of all four drum brakes, possible steering box, headers (current ones are both warped) and title/registration/inspection.

It has been quite the journey with this thing, but I'm really not yet ready to throw in the towel. Here she is back under a nice carport.
0d22939049e51c086c89a2cf7b7d7ebe.jpg

Jasperrc

Texas Chapter member
Glad to have you back!

Sounds like you've got a list and a plan which is a great place to startYelloThumbUp

Ford Truck Articles