Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Check Engine Light 4500 miles

My DEF was low with about 400 miles remaining. I had it filled at Elk River Ford. About two days later my check engine light comes on so I went to Boyer Ford in Minneapolis and find out that the DEF pressure is low and they messed with it for about 2 hours. The verdict was it needs a new DEF assembly mean pump and tank as it comes as an assembly. The problem is Ford doesn't have one available in the US so it has to come from the assembly line. I was given a time frame of a couple days to upwards of a week to get the part. Meanwhile I get to drive my $65,000 truck with it's balls cut because the computer de-tunes the power with the check engine light on. Boyer cleared the code but it came back on about 15 miles later.

I'm curious if anyone else has had problems.

Mileage has been hanging around the mid to upper 14's via old fashion math. My best tank has averaged 15.2.

blacksnapon

Staff member
My DEF was low with about 400 miles remaining. I had it filled at Elk River Ford. About two days later my check engine light comes on so I went to Boyer Ford in Minneapolis and find out that the DEF pressure is low and they messed with it for about 2 hours. The verdict was it needs a new DEF assembly mean pump and tank as it comes as an assembly. The problem is Ford doesn't have one available in the US so it has to come from the assembly line. I was given a time frame of a couple days to upwards of a week to get the part. Meanwhile I get to drive my $65,000 truck with it's balls cut because the computer de-tunes the power with the check engine light on. Boyer cleared the code but it came back on about 15 miles later.

I'm curious if anyone else has had problems.

Mileage has been hanging around the mid to upper 14's via old fashion math. My best tank has averaged 15.2.
I'd be curious as to how they arrived at the decision to replace the tank/pump assembly. Was the def injector not working? Was there no def getting to the injector? Because the light comes back on that fast, the NOX sensor definately is noticing something not right.

I can tell you that I have a 2012 F350 6.7 power stroke with 2505 miles that we bought on March 8th. As of this last Saturday April 7th the truck will be in for the 3rd time for the NOx module. I was told by Ford Motor Company Customer Care that now that my claim has been expedited we should expect the part to be shipped the week of April 23rd. My dealer too is unable to do anything because Ford can't provide them with the necessary parts to make the repair. Meanwhile, Ford is out nothing while I am out putting miles and lowering the resale of a nice used truck furnished by my very accommodating dealer! I was trying to enter a highway entrance ramp when our truck tapped out at the restricted 50mph. I would love to know what model you have.

blacksnapon

Staff member
I can tell you that I have a 2012 F350 6.7 power stroke with 2505 miles that we bought on March 8th. As of this last Saturday April 7th the truck will be in for the 3rd time for the NOx module. I was told by Ford Motor Company Customer Care that now that my claim has been expedited we should expect the part to be shipped the week of April 23rd. My dealer too is unable to do anything because Ford can't provide them with the necessary parts to make the repair. Meanwhile, Ford is out nothing while I am out putting miles and lowering the resale of a nice used truck furnished by my very accommodating dealer! I was trying to enter a highway entrance ramp when our truck tapped out at the restricted 50mph. I would love to know what model you have.
I'm curious as to if the dealer reset adaptive values on the nox sensor after they replaced it. If not, the code will come back quickly.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts