Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > Engines > V6/I6 Ford Gasoline Engines

Old 11-24-2008, 02:31 PM
blank

Brian_B is a splendid one to beholdBrian_B is a splendid one to beholdBrian_B is a splendid one to beholdBrian_B is a splendid one to beholdBrian_B is a splendid one to beholdBrian_B is a splendid one to beholdBrian_B is a splendid one to beholdBrian_B is a splendid one to behold
If you want to stay with the 2.9 there are some things you can do. Open up the air flow to the engine. Open up the exhaust. There are headers for them, but $$$$ (around $400).

You can add higher flow injectors (19#) and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator (one from a buick grand national will bolt on), but I am not as fond of that modification.

I also just happen to know where there is a 2.9 intake (upper and lower) that has been ported (gasket matched). That would help a lot if you do the other mods along with it.

As far as the head cracking...that depends on what year your engine is. In 89 they basically solved that one. The 89 heads are made different. Yes...they still do not like high heat, but they are not as prone to crack.

If you are going to modify the 2.9 or swap to a V8, I recommend getting a new radiator. The 1st gen explorer (4.0) radiator is a bolt in. You would need to swap the radiator hose, but that is about it. Those radiators can be bought new for around $90 from radiatorbarn.com.

As stated, the V8 swap is popular too. I have seen even the 351 stuffed in the 4X4 models. Not nearly as easy as the 302 though. You can actually buy kits from summit racing to drop a 302 into the 1st and 2nd gen rangers.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2008, 03:03 PM
hitech hillbilly

Admin

smokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond repute
You could put a 4.0 in they have enough power for a ranger and everything (Kinda) bolts right up. If you can find a 4.0 from a 91-94 with the tranny you can just bolt it in and swap the harness and computer and your good to go.
The 302 fits nice if you have a body lift, otherwise you need to do a little hammer work to the body at the tunnel.
Randy
Old 08-22-2009, 01:45 PM
Guarding the Gates

Watchdog7 will become famous soon enough
Swap it for either a beefy 4.0L V6 or a 302 V8.

'94 F-150 FlareSide 4x2 4.9L 4.11/locking diff 3'' Lift custom exhaust 217,000 miles!
Old 08-22-2009, 04:21 PM
Texas Chapter member

dragogt has a reputation beyond reputedragogt has a reputation beyond reputedragogt has a reputation beyond reputedragogt has a reputation beyond reputedragogt has a reputation beyond reputedragogt has a reputation beyond reputedragogt has a reputation beyond reputedragogt has a reputation beyond reputedragogt has a reputation beyond reputedragogt has a reputation beyond reputedragogt has a reputation beyond repute

that is all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nflfreak43 View Post
wjhat thee t**** man why you selllinh i kanat beleieve yyeou let tus talkak you ittno the ef 6 00 project!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F 150Cobra View Post
you are more confused than a chameleon in a box of skittles
'97 F250 LD 5.4 Auto

'91 Ranger XLT under who knows what construction.

'86 Ranger XL under who knows what construction.